Hot Rod Forum banner

Model A body dimensions Help!

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
Hi, I am looking for a few measurements from a 1930 Model A roadster body.

I have a fiberglass body that has no floor or internal framing/bracing. I want to get the body to be as close as possible to the original shape, so i need a few measurements to start off with.

The first three measurments are across the bottom of the body at the front corners of the doors, rear corners of the doors and the width of the bottom of the firewall. I also need the measurement from the front cross member to the firewall to mount the body on the chasis at the correct position.

Any help with these measurments would be much appreciated thanks
Leon

#2 ·
Does the body have a firewall? The front mount is very easy, it is about one inch in front of the firewall on the top of each rail. Do you have a stock frame?

You should be able to come up with the measurements you need, but I can get you that fire wall measurement today. I have a 29 at work and it's the same.
Brian

#3 ·
I have a stock frame/chasis it has a couple of holes in the top of it close to where the body sits when i line up the rear wheel arches with the wheels, i take it the fire wall is about an inch back from these holes?

The 1930 body I have is in 5 parts, a cowl skin, 2 door skins and a rear shell consisting of the rear quaters, valance(in front of trunk lid), rear panel(where tail lights and licence plate go) and inner wheel arches and a separate trunk lid. No firewall.

The body is all floppy as it has no bracing or floor in it. What i am planning on doing is placing it on the ground, spreading out the bottom edges of the rear quaters, the doors and the cowl using the measurements i am looking for and then bracing /framing up the body at that point, then adding a floor and firewall. The best way i can describe the body at present is what you might buy to use on a dragster for bodywork.

Again, all help with these measurements much appreciated, thanks
Leon

#4 ·
Well, I am not sure if I can be of much help. There has got to be someone with a 30-31 body on here. You can try Rodder.com as well (Click here) for someone also. The site is no where nears as active as this one but give it a try. Here is another just for Model A's (Click here)

I havn't worked on a 30-31 in a while and picture a little bracket on the bottom of the firewall that comes out about an inch. However I thought the 28-29 was the same but in looking at the 29 we have at work the bolt hole is behind the firewall. Now I am not sure if the 30-31 is the same and I am thinking Deuce or what.

The center of the rear cross member is in the center of the wheel well arches, that I know. The rear end sits directly under the spring, the spring sits in the middle of the cross member so the center of the cross member has to be in the center of the wheel well.

I made a body structure for an old GM body that was similar to your structureless glass one. I put a piece of plywood on the floor and screwed the body down where ever I could in the proper position. Then made the structure to fit the body while held in place on the sheet of plywood. It worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.