Hot Rod Forum banner

Model-A Highboy Wheels and Tires

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MoonBat 
#1 ·
Hi guys, Ole MoonBat is back,
I am at the stage of ordering a frame for my A-bone (Zigs stage 3, A frame, IFS). Any comments ? I know IFS is strictly non-traditional but I once owned a straight-axle ('31 5-window) and "fondly-remembered" is not the adjective that comes to mind for the steering.
Zigs says they will handle the shipping but I will need to move it around by myself. I need it to be a "roller." My current plan is steel "Smoothies" (how traditional can you get ?), 15 inch, 5 inch wide at the front, 7 inch at the rear. They seem to be available from several sources.
Tires are a different kettle of seafood. Coker sells a bias-appearing radial for several-hundred clams per. To my eye, the tread seems quite narrow compared to the width of the tire. (My old eyes sometimes play tricks).
Can any rodder out there suggest some rubber that might work ? For looks, I think that an aspect ratio around "70" would be right for an old rod. I am an old fart but radials seem a great improvement over bias, if only for safety and handling.
Buzz (MoonBat)
P.S. This may not be the appropriate place for this post but there isn't a "wheels and tires" section. Maybe there should be.

See less See more
#4 ·
IFS on a non fendered car looks terrible IMHO. We have straight axle sprint cars that steer and handle quite well at 140+. My 26 T has a 4" drop axle. I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference from IFS while driving. Even power steering (recently). It is all in the setup. Get that axle square and centered with proper caster and toe, with king pins and spindles in spec, with good tie rods and then a straight axle works great.
Obviously my T is not an A, but it has the model A wheelbase. Just to illustrate stance with a nice rubber rake, the rear is 235/75R15 on 15x7" smoothies. The front is 185/60R15 on 15x5" smoothies. I like the look, but now I wish I had gone with 16x7" on the rear and maybe even 14x5" on the front if they would fit over the disk brakes.
I don't think fendered or not makes much difference in tire/wheel choices.
Bias or Radial?---Safety or Looks? Your choice and all depends on the look you are going for.

Attachments

#5 ·
jaw22w,
Thanks for your comments. My experience with a straight-axle Model-A was in the 50's. I was 16 and didn't know caster and camber from pork and beans. Since then, I have chased my tail setting up caster-camber-toe (at both ends) on a Formula Ford. The idea of the IFS is to provide adjustability so I can get it all dialed in.
Your tire/wheel set-up looks about right. The best tires I have found so far are Bridgestone 265/70R/15 on a 8x15 rear and 205/70R/15 on a 6x15 front. They are available at Tire Rack. As they say, 15 inch tires are going the way of the dodo.
As for looks, it's all a matter of taste. I happen to think that nobody over 15 should be allowed to wear a miniskirt.
Buzz (MoonBat)

#6 · (Edited)
MoonBat back-
As I am researching tires for my '31 A-Bone I am discovering that, while 70-series tires do exist, they have speed ratings of "S" (112 MPH) and "T" (118 MPH). This brings up the question: "Should a V-8 Hot Rod have measly S or T rated tires ?"
My answer, of course is, "No freakin' way."
This discovery is driving me to the "65 series" tire. They seem to have ratings of "H" (130 MPH) and "V" (149 MPH). I like the look of a tall 70 tire on an old rod but 65 is pretty close (I guess). I do like to go fast.
Right now I'm looking at: (Firestone) 175x65R-15, V-rated, on 5" by 15" fronts ($76). And 205x65R-15, V-rated, on 7" by 15" rears ($76).
Goodyear: 175x65R-15, H-rated, on 5x15 F ($113); 205x65R-15, H-rated on 7x15 R ($107.
I am starting to think an old Ford ought to have American tires. There is something just wrong about Yokohamas on an A-Bone.
Buzz (MoonBat)

#8 ·
If it is just for rolling round the shop I would just find some used wheels and tires for that purpose. Worry about the right ones later. Might be doing yourself a favor as our shop tires get dirty and paint on them and who knows what else.

Sam

#9 ·
Bill and Sam,
Thanks for the input.
I actually did blow out a tire at about 90 MPH. It was a bias-ply front tire on an old Mercury. As we used to say in High School: "I thought my pants would never dry." It's worth $25 per tire to not relive that experience.
As far as doing (expensive) things just for the hell of it-- I am the guy. To spend a few bucks to not have Japanese tires on old Ford-- what the hell. I used to use a white paint stick to highlight the name and logo on my tires (expensive Michelin-X's on a Lotus Elite). Anybody know if they still make those things ?
Buzz (MoonBat)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.