Hot Rod Forum banner

Model A interior

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
Hi guy's newbie to the forum looks to lots of info here. I am going attempt my own trim work. so I have ben looking at machines I have found a singer 211u that is local that I am thinking about. I have lots of questions so I figured I would start a thread. any help, info, suggestions, ideas would be appreciated. I have a 30 ford coupe my thoughts to start with where to make panels for everything and cover them I know easier said than done. so what panel material do I use? then what to fasten them with side panels I think some type of clips I don't want screws showing if possible.
Thanks, john

#3 ·
I just realized your pictures are posted sideways. Use PVC foamboard to make your panels. Much easier to shape, and cut, and if it needs to flex a little that will be easy. You need to have the headliner in before you do that.

#4 ·
Thanks Dan where do I find occupied board what is it? Is it plastic will it bend for the radius for in the rear corner of my model A? How would you Handel this interior? Do it in sections, panels? The only issue is around the 1/4 window the door jam has a funky transition. I made a panel out of waterproof cardboard but I just can't seem to figure out how to make form to the transition. So then I made a panel out of aluminum so l could bend and form it still not sure about it. Maybe I over thinking it. On a good not found a local guy set the timing and went though my sewing machine it's working sweet now.

#6 ·
PVC foamboard is foamed PVC, which is 1/2 the weight of solid PVC. It is also called closed cell PVC. It comes in 3mm and 6mm thicknesses (about 1/8" and 1/4" ) in 4' by 8 ' sheets at sheet plastic suppliers and most sign shops. It goes by the brand names Sintra, Komatex, Palight, and CelTec. It is easily formable with heat, and can be sewed through easily.

#7 ·
Strange I am working on almost the exact same project as we speak. My car is a 30 model A. These cars are real hard to do because of the crazy curved angles on the roof, back and sides. They are real small also which makes it hard to get seats in. Basically I used 1/4 inch paneling on the roof. I had to cut it in half to fit so there is a seam running down the center of the headliner area. Not a problem, actually makes it easier to work from center out. You can use 1/8 inch but I like how solid the 1/4 inch is and it accepts screws nicely. I then used some thin black panel board to form the curve from the roof to the sides. You can use cardboard if you like or even a sheet of very thin abs plastic. whatever is available. You will have a curve at the back above the window and curves on both sides. there will be an awkward transition in the very corner of the back of the car. get it as close as possible the foam will cover all that. Once you are comfortable with the curved pieces and you have them symmetrical you will be ready to apply the foam. try to get foam that is 3/32". if not just get 1/4". glue it from the center working out and back. when you get to that awkward corner use a sharp razor split the foam in the corner. then over lap the pieces and run the razor through both pieces of foam at the same time giving you a perfect match. if you like you can use some sand paper and feather them smooth. Then cover the foam with vinyl usung glue. With my project I kept the seem running down the center of the roof all the way back to the rear window on all material. wood, foam and vinyl. the I made a 9" wide panel with my accent color and ran it over that seam. looks great. when you make the side panels, I like to you that cheap white plastic paneling from home depot. it bends quite nice is easy to cut, and accepts screws real nicely. once you get the side or corner panels cut force then up into the headliner as tight as possible and screw then into the wood on the side and rear windows. the will dram the headliner tight and create a nice straight line at the seam.

#9 ·
model a interior panels

When you buy or borrow a sewing machine make shure it is a walking foot machine.These will take more than 1 thickness material and pull it through. Also spray high tack adhesive used to put thin fome to back of vinal then you can sew pleats etc.Black hard board 1/8 is a good backer pannel,pre drill if hidden fastners,i only use 3m spray adhesive,doesent fail later on a hot summer day. good luck. black hard bourd can be warped by wetting and casuing pressure and leaving in sun to dry.

#10 ·
Model A panels

The Singer 211U is a real good machine for the work you are doing. It's a compound feed for heavy work and there a many specialty feet like welt feet and zipper feet available for it. 1/8 th " plywood paneling makes a good door panel material. You might check out Sid Chavers videos on how to do panels, how to do seats and how to do head liners they are great!
Hope this helps.
Rodder32

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.