Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Yes, for less than $6400

Votes: 4 28.6%

Model A purchase

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Knight_4000 
#1 ·
I alread asked this earlier but have a few more pics and thought I would put this in its own thread as opposed to the intro one. I am looking at a Model A to purchase, it is in pretty good shape. It has some surface rust (not too bad), a lower panel that is rusted out (not too big), and some general issues/quick fixes that will need some attending if bought. The owner said "it ran last year" which makes me laugh but not a problem because I already own a '49 flathead that will go in. He is asking $6400 and I am afraid that this might be much but really dont know. If anybody has any advice on if this is a good buy or if they have seen others in any given price range just to give me a idea. Oh, it is a 1928 Model A roadster, all original metal.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say that your investment in that would get you a long way down the road toward the car that you want..if you were to order out a new chassis and body from someone you would spend a lot more and not get as much..

Sam

#5 ·
I agree with Frisco that it is indeed a "coupester" - a roadster made from a coupe. This is not bad, as there are certain reinforcements that actually make it a stronger body then the actual roadster - plus the fact that it already has or can be retrofitted back to having roll up door windows. The downside is that many of the roadster top pieces can't be used. My feelings on it, see what the owner will take for it with this knowledge, and if you can reach a reasonable agreement, buy it and build a car that suits you out of it -

Dave W

#7 ·
Thanks guys, this is the type of info that I was looking for and really appreciate the help. I will bring this info to him and try to drive the price down. The more I think about it the more I want it but still would love to get it for less. I am sure I will be happy down the line no matter what but it is always nice to have all of the info at your disposal. Thanks again to all that took the time to help.

#9 ·
For what it is worth, I had to sell a 29 roadster I was a partner in, when my partner died (estate issues). It was sunburnt, but rust free, bone stock, 100% complete. It did not run, the 4 banger was frozen up. I sold it at the LA Roadster show, Father's Day, 2007 for over 10K. If you have a copy of Street Rodder from November of 2007, a picture of it's on page 149 on my trailer.

#10 ·
So I am working on a deal. He is going to see if he can get it started today and will call me back today. Once we see if it will actually start then we will establish a price. It is looking good that I might be the overly proud owner of a Model A "coupester" (I love that). I will keep you guys up to date. This will blow my budget and I might have some lean times ahead but think it is worth it. Thanks for the replies they really do help.

#11 ·
It's Mine

I did it, the old girl is in the garage in the spot she will be until I can find money to start working on her. It will probably be a good 2 years or more before I start but now I have a great start. I am so excited I cant even explain it, thank you to everybody who wrote in with all of the advice. Now I will start a hard core effort of reading as many of the post that have to do with roadsters that I can. I am officially addicted to this site, just what I need.

#13 ·
I am exactly like a kid on Christmas. I have already started look at cars that I like and I really like a couple of ideas, I will have to narrow it down and figure out what I like best. What I need is a lot of money a few of these great toys. I do like the roadsters or cabriolets that have the really aggressive look from slanting the windshield and putting a low soft top on. We will see what happens, like I said I have a few years to plan it out and improve all of my skills before I start working on this project. Thank for the ideas I will always look at as many Model A's that I can, they are like women not all are exactly the same but I want to look at as many beauties as possible.

#14 ·
Well said, If you like it, than I would go for it. It seems to be in better shape than most I have seen for sale, and they went for about the same price tag too. However, not being much prone to those, I never went for it. But I do think that it would be a great toy and wish you luck should you buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.