Model A rear crossmember - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 01:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Model A rear crossmember

I am pursuing my idea of building a modified lakes roadster based on Model T body and model A suspension.

In order to save me alot of time hunting does anyone know who sells a new Model A rear crossmember with the high arch like the original?

Does anyone know who might offer for sale either the complete chassis or better still, the parts to use quarter elliptic springs in the front end. I believe I have seen this suspension offered somewhere but when you want to find something and have hundreds of mags and catalogs to search through it is a daunting task. I hope someome can save me some time.

Appreciate any leads. THANKS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Speedway Motors is always a good place to start looking for stuff like this. Here is how they do the high buggy spring on their chassis.

Here is what their version of a track roadster looks.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:18 PM

My neighbor and I have a chance to get a couple of T bucket bodies from a man who has just started production recently. I am back to my dream of a modified lakes roadster.

I spent the afternoon looking through the Speedway catalogs at their frames and so on. We are going to build our frames. What I want is the standard Model A crossmember that had about a 6" arch to it. The Speedway picture is of a high arched Model T spring on a straight crossmember. Not what I want. Street Rod Builder magazine of April 2002 has a picture on page 44 of the rear end of a modified roadster using original Ford parts or copies. The A crossmember and A spring are poetry in motion. I have a good Model A frame in my shop but don't want to take it apart for the crossmember. I need to find a source of a duplicate of the original. I have seen them somewhere, just can't remember where. Thanks for the info anyway!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Why not just duplicate it in sheet steel since you have a prototype in-hand? Pretty simple shape and one built of fresh steel would be better than 90 year old stuff anyway!! Since you are building the rest of the frame anyway, should be a piece of cake.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

There are at least two on eBay right now. Here are the links.

Model 'A' rear crossmember

and

2nd Model 'A' rear crossmember

You can also do a search using Rat Rod and/or Hot Rod because I believe there is at least one more listed.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:45 AM

Thanks for all the tips on the A crossmember. The ones on Ebay seem reasonable. I certainly could make one from my original but it is a bit of work to make it look like the original stamped one.

With all the chassis parts available new somebody must make one. There is one on Posies website for around 250. Seems kind of pricey. You can buy a whole T-bucket basic frame for 350 or so plus shipping.

I might be interested, if everything goes well, in making more than one frame. Thus would like to find a source of new stamped ones. I have about 25 rod parts catalogs and have not found a new one yet. I am determined to find out if somebody sells a new one for a reasonable price. Dig out your catalogs and take a look if you have a minute. I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I doubt you will find one at a 'reasonable' price. Anyone who went to the trouble of creating dies for that part will have many $10,000s of investment to amortize over a relatively few parts sales. If they didn't make dies, they hand form them and labor costs even more than special tools. Add to that the proclivity of after-market guys being really proud of their items and the price isn't going to make you happy. I would jump on the ebaY ones, don't think you can come even close to the prices they seem to be going for.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.