Model A Spring Spread - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 AM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Model A Spring Spread

Greetings from the snowy hills of Colorado,

I have a Chev 10 bolt rear end (Yes Paris, I'm cheap - it was only $20.00 .. and almost complete) and a Model A rear spring. I picked this spring for my project because of it's great looks and Australopithecus afarensis ride quality.

So, now I'm wondering how far apart I need to weld on my mounting brackets and therefore how much to spread the spring to mount it.

If the picture loads you can see my brackets, hangers and shackles. I'm hoping my read end is wide enough..... There's something you'll never hear a woman say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPRING SHACKLES.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	26045  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

It depends on the weight of your vehicle ... IMHO

Spring rate ... or how much the spring compresses with the load on it ... factors in. I would try to see a original Model A and measure the width between the eyes of the spring .. on a running Model A ... then look at the shackles ... that work best if they are @ a 45 degree angle ... hanging from the hanger to the spring. Or just spread the spring a inch and a half to two inches ... figure in the distance for the shackles to be @ 45 degrees and then hang the hangers.

Years ago when I hung a 57 Ford rear end under my 32 using the original buggy spring ... I used a kit from PSI ... and I spread the spring 1.5 to 2 inches, took in account the hangers @ 45 degrees ... worked great
Old 12-08-2007, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

Model A spring spread

dugg....I can measure the one I have tomorrow for you.

I'm curious about your spring mounts. Are you planning on bolting them to your housing? From your pictures it looks like the brackets you made are drilled for that purpose.

One other thing, your spring, if you blend in the wear ridges on the leaves and radius the bottom of the ends of leaves, you will get a better ride. It helps to reduce the friction between the leaves.

Youngster
Old 12-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster
dugg....

I'm curious about your spring mounts. Are you planning on bolting them to your housing? From your pictures it looks like the brackets you made are drilled for that purpose.

One other thing, your spring, if you blend in the wear ridges on the leaves and radius the bottom of the ends of leaves, you will get a better ride. It helps to reduce the friction between the leaves.

Youngster
I am sure that he will be welding those brackets to his rear axle... I think the holes are to attach a four bar or ladder bar set up.

As Youngster says if you radius the bottom and ends of the spring you will get a much better ride. As well you may want to look into installing teflon/nylon strips or buttons between the leaves so they will slide even better.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:28 AM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

Thanks guys,

Actually the two smaller holes were nothing more than a way to hold the plate down on the mill table when I cut'em out.

I may have to make new ones for the 10 bolt rear end and bolt them through the backing plate mounting holes depending upon the recommended spread of the spring. Another reason to make new ones is that the 10 bolt tubes are smaller in diameter next to the backing plates if I find they need to be welded there.

If I mount them on the backing plate flange, I'll have to cut holes in the backing plates to access the hanger nuts for drum brakes. Or, find or make hats for yet unknown discs and then mounting brackets for equally unknown calipers - all to clear yet unknown wheels.

It seems like every part relies on having the part next to it in order to make tiny steps forward in progress
Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugg

It seems like every part relies on having the part next to it in order to make tiny steps forward in progress
I heard someone say one time that one modification begats 13 more.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Model A spring spread

Dugg...The spread on a Model A spring is 46''. I could be wrong but if my memory serves me the narrowest 10 bolt is something like 51'' flange to flange.

Putting a chassis together is akin to a puzzle. Guess that's why I like this part of a build so much. I sometimes hate the idea of a body and fenders covering my chassis.

Youngster
Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 PM

The perches on my Model A rear are 49.5" eye to eye.
Shackles are 1.5" each side so that makes the spring eye installed spread 45.5".
When installed most Model A springs, front or rear will have the shackles resting horizontally until loaded. Then they drop to the commonly "desired" 45 degree angle.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.