Model a steering - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2002, 04:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Model a steering

I recently acquired a 1931 Ford A coupe. The frame has been boxed and lengthened 5.5". It has a 1940 Ford straight axle but the steering hasn't been done. In looking at a number of rods I've seen many similar rods with the steering control going through the frame and going to the left front wheel intsead of underneath and going to the right front wheel. Is this the best way to set the steering up?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2002, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

My 30 model A is set up this way and no this is not the best way to go. When you turn your wheels hard all the way to the left, the back of the tire starts rubbing on that rod going to the left wheel that you were talking about.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:04 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Jforward, when you figure out the best way and get it set up how about telling me, I havn't gotten that far yet, but I will one day...

HK
Old 08-26-2002, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

I have a 1930 Model A pickup. It has a Buick 350 V8 in it. The man the originally set it up cannabalized a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 using its engine, transmission, and rear end. It has the straight axle, but modified for power disk brakes. He used the Olds steering column and mounted the steering unit on the outside of the frame on the drivers side. So it has power steering also.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:43 PM

jforward,

Either type of steering can work, but you must be careful of steering geometries, especially with a modified frame. If you choose to use the through-frame type steering, mount the box so that the drag link connecting the left-front spindle arm to the Pittman arm is roughly the same length, and travels roughly around the same center, as the radius rods connecting the front axle to the frame. When you hit a bump that causes the left-front tire to bounce, the radius of travel of the spindle arm will be dictated by the radius rod - causing undue stress on the drag link (and a jumpy steering wheel) if the geometry is incorrect. More often, the bump causes the spindle to rotate to match the position of the drag link, so that when the tire hits the ground again, it's pointed in a different direction (this is called, of course, bump-steer).

On my A roadster pickup, I'm using a dropped '40 Ford axle with split-wishbone radius rods. I'm going with a '40 Ford steering box that connects to the spindle arm on the right-front spindle because the geometry is more forgiving, and it looks a lot better on a fenderless rod. All you have to do is make sure the link between the spindle arm and the Pittman arm are roughly the same length, and travel about the same center, as the axle would seem to be when you would hit a bump with the right-front tire. Generally speaking, if you mount the steering box in the same position, relative to the axle and right-front spindle, as it was mounted in the '40, then you will be OK. Since the '40 frame is wider than the A frame, so you might end up with a little bump-steer, depending on your spring length and suspension travel.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.