model T brake upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

model T brake upgrade

Anybody out there ever converted to a juice brake on original model T front and rear axles with wooden spoked wheels from junk yard parts or is there a supplier for this conversion. Traffic is too heavy were I am and I wouldn't wan't to crash my car. My car is a 1926 and it has rear drums. Any advice would be good thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 01:55 AM

Last photo:

I would suggest you Google "Model T Club"...there's a ton of these clubs through out the USA and probably Canada. One of those guys should have the answer....along with other info you might be able to use.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 AM

Last photo:

Go to http://www.mtfca.com/ and post your question. It is an open forum, you do not need to be registered to post. Bottom line, there are no front brakes available for the Model T, because the car was never designed for them, although some people have adapted Nash Metropolitan brakes with significant welding, and axle mods. Mechanical rear brakes (Rock Mountains) are readily available in the $600 range. You may be interested in hydraulic disc brakes that are being made, but I don't have any contact info for the builder. He will probably respond to your post.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosyco
Anybody out there ever converted to a juice brake on original model T front and rear axles with wooden spoked wheels from junk yard parts or is there a supplier for this conversion.
The Ford Model 'T' did not have front brakes and only mechanical drum style rear brakes. Top speed was about 45 MPH.

To my knowledge there are no direct kits or junk yard parts to adapt any style of brakes to the original Model 'T' front axle.

Hydralic brakes could probably be adapted to the rear end axle halves.

With the original wood spoke wheels, I'd suggest you rebuild the stock rear mechanical brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosyco
Traffic is too heavy were I am and I wouldn't wan't to crash my car. My car is a 1926 and it has rear drums. Any advice would be good thanx
Regardless of how heavy the traffic is, unless you are following too close or not paying attention to the traffic around you, the stock brakes should be fine at the speed your vehicle will be doing. The problems that I see are more about the "Soccer Mom's" and other impatient driver's who would feel that you are slowing them down and would then make foolish moves to get around you. To better illustrate this mentality; think of how you feel when you get behind a Moped or a bicycle rider.

ENJOY your car and make every effort to stay out of heavy traffic.

Last edited by Frisco; 08-10-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

T brakes

the problem with upgrading your brakes is that you will only have a very small amount of rubber on the road with original size tires. you have to be more defensive than when riding your harley. I have rockey mountain rear brakes on my speedster. The original rear brakes were for parking only . cast iron against steel and with the normal leaking seals very little stopping power with the hand brake...The original Model T brake is the last band in the transmission, fire hose type material that runs in the same oil as the engine. '26 and 27's have a wider brake band in the trans. ...When going down hill you have to dance on the 3 foot pedals. Brake then let off to let the oil circulate so as not to burn the lining. reverse to tighten the band to slow it down then low to the floor to gear it down. If you shear an axle key break, a u joint , etc you will have no connection between the original brake and the road. I have a Moore 2 speed drive shaft trans. and if I kill the engine when in neutral it is very hard to get back in gear. If you drive a T any time other than a parade you absolutely need to upgrade your brakes. 26 and 27's have bigger rear drums so the cost is less for the upgrade

Last edited by timothale; 08-10-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Below are some scanned images from a Snyder's catalog. They are of pieces and parts to improve and/or upgrade your Ford Model 'T' brakes. You can go to Snyder's on-line or order a catalog.

The images will be in two separate posts. Click on them to view a larger image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snyders full page brakes.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	39902   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocky mountain brakes.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	39903   Click image for larger version

Name:	pedal extension.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	39904  
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Three more images.

Utilizing these three items will greatly improve your braking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake equalizer.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	39905   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring kit.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	39906   Click image for larger version

Name:	lined shoes.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	39907  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 AM

In regard to upgrading Model T brakes for original chassis, try Texas T & A Parts in College Station Texas. Website available. They are now carrying an easy retrofit disc brake system for original Model Ts. Great stuff. I will be adding it to my 1924 very soon.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.