Model T brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Model T brakes

I have a TT Ford truck. I sold the driveline and are planning to make it look like a stock farm truck but with a late model v6 engine/trans and rear. My question is does anyone make or know how to fit disc brakes on a stock T front end? Can I change spindles that will adapt the original wood spoke wheels. I can change the wishbone to a 4 link. I can keep or change the steering. But how may I keep those old wood spoke wheels? It does not have to go fast, I just want more than the original 20 hp engine.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

There are several company's that make disc brake conversions, www.speedwaymotors.com may have a setup. Not that you don't know this but just keep in mind that those OLD wooden spoke wheels were not made for any kind of horse power whether you use disc brakes or not. You also might google a Model T club and ask them your question, maybe one of those guy's has done the conversion........good luck.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

T disc's

Someone is making disc brakes for a T pass car suspenion. Why not go to a later Ford V8 axle and run wire wheels ? The wood spokes on my Model T speedster used to make noises when I hit bumps or turned. I wondered when I was going to be scraping on the ground with a pile of kindling. I changed to 27 wires , Some guys run early chevy (20's) disc wheels. 6 bolts that match the T 6 bolt wood hubs. It's supposed to be an easy swap. Check out MTFCA or northwest vintage speedster.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

T bk upgrades

i did a google thingie and found "wilwood.com" to have an article of just what u want. see if it helps
Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

I found several links concerning the installation of disc brakes on the Ford Model 'T'. They all appear to be for the rear axle only and for the same manufacturers kit just different distributors.

I can not find any reference to install disc brakes on the original front spindles of the Ford Model 'T'. The Model 'T' Ford with the wood spoke wheels did not have front brakes originally.

If you swap the front axle to a later year (Model 'A' and up to 1948 Ford), then there are several kits available to install disc brakes on the later 1937-1948 spindles.

Here is Link 1

Here is Link 2

Here is Link 3

Here is Link 4

Because of the slow operating MPH range of a stock Model 'T' Ford, the wood spoke wheels may be acceptable to run. Personally, I would consider upgrading to later Model 'T' wire spoke wheels or Model 'A' Ford wire spoke wheels.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information. I'l look into everything. Just wondering. Ever see anybody turn a set of aluminum spokes to look like the original wood ones? I have a lathe.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

I would be really concerned about the torque applied to straight wood spokes, by a brake trying to stop the hub, and the tire wanting to continue rolling
Old 10-30-2011, 04:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Model T's did not have front brakes - at least the passenger cars. This outfit seems to offer some sort of discs, but after just a quick look. you would need to change wheels at a minimum - and no clue as to what else.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill
i did a google thingie and found "wilwood.com" to have an article of just what u want. see if it helps
Thanks, I looked at the site. Not sure about the T. Search dates went back to 1936 cars. Also seemed expensive for what started as a low buck project for me. I appreciate your input.
George
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Model T's did not have front brakes - at least the passenger cars. This outfit seems to offer some sort of discs, but after just a quick look. you would need to change wheels at a minimum - and no clue as to what else.
This link is a good one and should be interesting info for the OP. It does show pics of disc brakes with the wood wheels on the front axle using the stock Model 'T' Ford axle and spindles. It also posts very important info concerning the front radius rods when using front brakes on the stock 'T' axle and spindles.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 AM

What link showed the disc brakes with wooden wheels on a stock T front end?
Also, i'm new to this site and just registered. Hope I replied correctly. Don't want to insult anybody by not responding. Thanks to all who offered information.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 AM

T disc brakes

Go to the HAMB site and search Model t speedster. The site search does not work very well to find what your are looking for. I've seen a couple different Disc brake conversions posted there Powerwagonmaniac is building a speedster and there are picts of his conversion using Nissan 4 X 4 rotors. They use the Chevy 6 bolt pattern which is the same as model T wood bolt hubs.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dog
What link showed the disc brakes with wooden wheels on a stock T front end?
Also, i'm new to this site and just registered. Hope I replied correctly. Don't want to insult anybody by not responding. Thanks to all who offered information.
This link was originally posted by Ireland's Child.

Click on Model T front disc brakes to go there.

There are pics in the upper left. Scroll down for additional info and question and answers.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 AM

late drive train

Back to the original proposal to use late drive train, V 6 etc. The T spindles . steering parts, are not up to the job . I would not use them on anything other than a T powered build.. Originally designed for a 20 HP vehicle.. A V6 would be way over any safety factor. The T spindle design does not have a lot of swap possibilities to anything strong enough. If you want the TT beam you could look at having a later model axle ends put on but That is $ more than it's worth. Some of the T dropped axles are welded. . made from 2 T axles. I have a couple of 20's Dodge front axles that are heavier, but are 2 spring. then using something that old..too much work to add discs,
Old 11-11-2011, 06:14 AM

Wow, lots of good info. I'm not sure which way to go now. I really wanted the original look with a simple late model engine for obvious reasons. I have collected original TT parts for over 15 years. My frame is like new and the body is close. It's just a hobby that I held onto like unlike all the great rides i sold and regreted later. Thanks for your insight. Someelse told me about the chevy 6 lugs.
George

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.