Hot Rod Forum banner

Model T VIN

15K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  yragat 
#1 ·
Did model T's have a VIN number stamped anywhere,or did that come later?

#3 ·
Yes, Model T's were titled based on their motor number. The motor number was stamped on the block above the water inlet. This is the ONLY number stamped by the factory on a Model T until some time during the 1926 model year production. At that time, they started stamping the motor number on the passenger side frame rail, roughly in line with the door. This way you could see the number when the floor board was lifted up. The number was stamped individually, with 1/4 inch tall stamps, and no special characters.

#6 ·
mines a 26 and it only has 8 numbers. Pa has a streetrod plate available,but a friend of mine just got one and it was a real pain--have to go to special inspection stations (mine wouldn't pass anyhow--exaust don't go back past the doors) and it ended uo costing him about $200.00 ,and I have a personallized plate that I like better anyhow

#7 ·
There were a total of a little over 15,000,000 Model T's made, with motor numbers that started with 1 and ending at just over 15,000,000. A 1926 Model T should have a motor number of at least about 12,500,000. By the way, the factory did not use commas, so the motor (and/or frame number) would be stamped as 12500000

#9 ·
That motor number was transferred to the Rouge plant on December 9, 1924. At that time the Rouge plant was just starting to build engines. The actual engine was probably built some time later in December for a model year 1925 car. Motor numbers stamped in the frame probably started after 12 million, but I cannot find a definite date.

#11 ·
VIN or "motor numbers" as Ford called them were only stamped on the side of the engine block, and on the right frame rail of 1926 and 1927 cars. There WERE other numbers stamped on the body, but these are supplier ID and supplier serial numbers, which were meaningless to Ford. The rear crossmember was never stamped with any motor number.

#12 ·
rdupree said:
That motor number was transferred to the Rouge plant on December 9, 1924. At that time the Rouge plant was just starting to build engines. The actual engine was probably built some time later in December for a model year 1925 car. Motor numbers stamped in the frame probably started after 12 million, but I cannot find a definite date.
But my car is a 1926--maybe it got a leftover 1925 engine?????
Do U think it would be of any advantage to stamp the numbers on my frame? If so exactly where would I do it?
Thanks

#13 ·
I took this picture of an August 1926 built touring car I am restoring. The left edge of the masking tape is at the edge of the first digit. As you can see, the number starts about 3 inches ahead of the front running board bracket on the passenger size. I was surprised at the size of the numbers. They are about 5/16 inch tall. I doubt that anyone would ever notice if you used 1/4 inch metal stamps. Note that the numbers are not in an exact straight line, and there are no stars or other stamps besides the motor number.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.