model a/vega steering box - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2002, 07:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post model a/vega steering box

i'm working on my model a coupe and i've put a 283 power pak in the frame, well every thing was great untill the part about side mount motor mounts came into play.
my questions are :has any one had any experience with the plate that mounts to the front of the engine and sets on donuts (like a flat head)that is one piece and has any one had experience with ones that mount to the front of the engine that are two piece.(i would like to make the two piece version but i'm concerned about flexing and wallowing of the bolt hole's at the block.
thanks joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2002, 08:03 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

The motor plate you are talking about is no good if you are going to run a rear trans mount(the trans will break and the motor will rock around badly). The motor has to be mounted by the side motor mounts if your using a mount on the tranny that is by the driveshaft yoke.Its tight but you can get the vega box to work with side mounts ,we do them all the time so...it can be done.I dont know if your box is allready mounted but maybe look at a few cars that are done to get and idea.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:40 AM

thanks phat
one thing i forgot to mention, is i had mocked up the sector mounted under and to the front of the side mount, it was the angle that the pitman arm was going to have to be bent that was the start of my concern.
i understand that the cross steering should run side by side ??
Old 01-10-2002, 11:03 AM

Stick with the side mounts,they will work with the vega box. I got this setup on my 31 coupe. Just tac weld & C-clamp things till it all falls in place. Take your time it will work out,check any cars available in your area. Good Luck!!!!
Old 01-10-2002, 12:53 PM

stumpy: thanks,i'll just keep chipping away at it.
whould like to know what kind of an angle your pitman arm is at.
thanks again.
joe
Old 01-11-2002, 07:41 AM

Joe My pitman arm is sitting level to the ground, I am running cross steering, my tie rod & drag link are running parallel to each other.I did buy an aftermarket pitman arm that is flat instead of offset like the stock one. I made my own steering box mount to weld to my frame, this helps to lower the box down to clear your motor mount.I hope this makes sense to you, i'm not much good at writing. Stumpy

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.