Model A- where to mount the pedals? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I dont have any shake, rattles etc. at all....but WOW nothing like that bomb shelter! Very nice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I have a reinforcing framework around the entire pass. compartment in my '31. Lots of 3/4 and 1" tubing, both round and square. There is not a bit of the dreaded Model A cowl shake or body flopping

Dave W
Impressive fabrication work Dave.

One thing to note: 31ROC has a coupe. Cowl shake is a roadster thing, coupes and sedans don't exhibit this due to the inherent strength associated with the roof structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ROC View Post
yes I did...wish I had one to mock up or test fit, wonder if they'd lend one to me for that purpose? or buy one and be able to return? guess I'll call them tomorrow....thanks for all your input, maybe I;ll try figuring out how to post pics tomorrow to see if that helps anyone to see my delemma!
I gotta believe they would sell you a bare steel set-up and only charge a nominal restocking fee if you return it.

Keep us in the loop as this progresses. I for one am very interested in how this all palys out.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 11-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Impressive fabrication work Dave.

One thing to note: 31ROC has a coupe. Cowl shake is a roadster thing, coupes and sedans don't exhibit this due to the inherent strength associated with the roof structure.

I'm aware that 31ROC has a coupe - but I'm also well aware that once he pulls that gas tank and either cuts it off the cowl or just replaces it with an aftermarket version, much inherent strength is lost PLUS he also needs something to either mount pedals, e-brake handle, column drop, a/c or whatever else he wants in that under dash not-as-big-as-thought hole.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

Gas tank already gone....this car was near finished when I bought, now its time to make it mine.....
I will attempt taking some pics tonite and post them, so you pros out there will get my issues.....I REALLY appreciate everyone's input being a hotrod newbie....
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

I have seen an under the dash booster, pedal assembly complete with master cylinder. It mounts sideways and has a crazy mechanism that operated the push rod. I was going to use that myself on my 30 model a, then I decided to just buy a booster/master cylinder that is chrome and mount it on the firewall. Got to say it looks pretty cool next to the chrome engine. The pedal system i used is out of a late model mustang cobra. The pedal are real sporty looking, and the are real nice and tight so they fit rather nice. You can usually find them for about $150-$200. Cant beat it.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSHENOUDA View Post
I have seen an under the dash booster, pedal assembly complete with master cylinder. It mounts sideways and has a crazy mechanism that operated the push rod. I was going to use that myself on my 30 model a, then I decided to just buy a booster/master cylinder that is chrome and mount it on the firewall. Got to say it looks pretty cool next to the chrome engine. The pedal system i used is out of a late model mustang cobra. The pedal are real sporty looking, and the are real nice and tight so they fit rather nice. You can usually find them for about $150-$200. Cant beat it.
Any chance you would have pics of the pedal assemblies and the resevoirs outside on firewall?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

I will take some tonight and post. I had to remove everything yesterday so that I could fit the steering column in. Now it's time to cut the floor and put it all back together.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSHENOUDA View Post
I will take some tonight and post. I had to remove everything yesterday so that I could fit the steering column in. Now it's time to cut the floor and put it all back together.
Excellent! Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

OK guys...heres some pics...they may give you an idea what I'm up against....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	69423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	69424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	69425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0887.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	69426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	69427  

Old 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

You might look at the setups that put pedal assembly and masters all under the dash. It takes a hose to fill the units with fluid, but they're compact. Might again take some heat to bend the pedals to fit your car.
Wilwood makes them, and Speedway has them in their catalog.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
You might look at the setups that put pedal assembly and masters all under the dash. It takes a hose to fill the units with fluid, but they're compact. Might again take some heat to bend the pedals to fit your car.
Wilwood makes them, and Speedway has them in their catalog.
yes...have done extensive research on these...just dont see how I can mount them.....
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

And then there is Kugel Komponents - Reverse 90 Under Dash : Kugel Komponents, Quality Komponents Since 1969

As far as room, you have it with these Kugal parts.

BUT - why the desire for a 4-5-6 speed manual? An auto will shift faster, be more reliable and the exterior parts are more easily located, i.e. under the floorboards. Yeah, I looked at running a 5 speed in mine, but after spending a bunch of time going through what you are now, said screw it!! A well built C4 will do everything necessary (TH-350 with a Chebbie). Very happy I did as trying to move size my size 12's attached to my 6'4" body to three pedals would have been not a good time for me at every stop. Yeah, a coupe has a little more room then a roadster, but not a heluva lot more. Today, and knowing what I know now and since I built from scratch tho using a TCI Stage lll chassis, would have extended the frame beyond the firewall a few inches then used a standard firewall as the 5" recessed version wouldn't be hurting my foot room.

Whatever - it IS your car and choice, albeit a difficult project
Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for your input...just cant stand automatics.....shifting is too much fun, dont care about speed one bit, just having fun.....gonna check out your 90 degree models...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Gotta agree with 31 ROC, having 3 pedals and rowing through the gears is a big part of the fun.

A lot of great information here. I still think the under the floor set-up is still your best option. A lot less fabrication and easier access.

Cut out the drivers side floor pan, install the pedals assembly, then install a new floor pan that fits around the pedals and that has access doors for the master cylinders. All this can be done in a fairly accessible area and it will be hidden once your done.

Here is a shot of my floor pan area for comparison. Old photo, that has been scanned, but thought it might be usefull:

Old 11-29-2012, 04:04 AM

Last photo:

if I can find a way to fit the dual pedal assembly under floor, I am thinking the pedals will have to pop up thru the floor "in front of the steering column" as opposed to on either side of it since there really is no room left of the column....is this reasonable?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.