Modern Drive Trains? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Question Modern Drive Trains?

Hey Y'all.

I been wondering about this for some time & possibly its already been gone over but maybe I am not wording my searches right.

I have been curious of "hot to install modern drive trains on older cars & trucks"

I see them all the time a "LS .?.?." in a old car or truck .
I figured I would start with Chevy's {because its my most familiar}

So what does it take to put a LS 2 or a LS6 into a older ride do you have to get a ECM ?

Do you have to change out the fuel lines .

I mean to tell you , I think I know next to nothing about this but I need to start somewhere can't stay Old school for ever.

I would like to be able to upgrade someday.

Thanks to all that reply.

Rob

Advertisement

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There are several ways to go about it. With the motor mounts and transmissions aside we will stick to just getting the motor running. You can get the engine with the harness and ecu. You can get a carb manifold and use a special ignition box that uses the factory crank sensor to fire the COP ignition. Or, you can use the carb and replace the factory front cover with a gmpp cover that lets you use a sbf distributor. Also, if your using the fuel injection you will need to upgrade the fuel lines to handle the pressure.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A decent running donor car is the best way to start, if its worn out a rebuild can occur during the swap process. You may want to replace the wearing components of the electrical harness at the same time like the TPS sensor, O2 sensor, throttle body air bypass, egr sensor and valve etc. Usually the injectors last a long time and can be swapped without replacement but many people will swap those out at the same time just to be on the safe side.

I can't stress enough how much trouble you will save yourself by having a good running donor car to start with, nothing worse than doing the swap and having to figure out why it won't start after you transfer everything and can't figure out if its a wire harness problem you created during the swap or just a junk ECU because the thing never ran to begin with.

If the plan is to hop it up at the same time think twice, you may have less trouble doing a stock swap first and building up after its installed and running...one thing at a time dude!

99% of it is all plug and play, you will have a harder time dealing with how to hide all the cables etc. There is a lot of wire in the newer cars.

As for the fuel system I would try to keep the factory stuff and graft that into your project, I.E. donor fuel pump fitted to your project cars tank etc. This way when it comes time to fix it you can just order parts for the original donor car and have it fit.

However there are lots of ways to skin the cat and tons of aftermarket stuff to choose from, my experience has been the factory stuff is more reliable and durable though.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 AM

Last photo:

What he said above....

I've wrenched on a few of these swaps, and they are ALWAYS MUCH EASIER with a complete donor car. You will get nickel and dimed to death if you just start with the engine.

The LSx series of engines are very reliable and actually knock down good mileage in anywhere close to stock form. Not to mention the 4th gen F-Body LS1's routinely put out 300 HP STOCK (that's TO The rear wheels ....).

Google LS1TECH and start reading.

You'll have to get around several programming issues with the ECM, but nothing that hasn't been done and discussed on the internet a thousand times.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.