modern or old engine to fit on my 1937 Chevy 4 door deluxe - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hahaha, thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

So I'm leaning for a 6 cylinder, what's my best choice? 292?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
292 is the hardest to find of the late models, it's a truck engine not put into any cars, that should give you an idea of how hard they are to find. The 50's equivalent would be a 261 or 302 GMC. These are the special inline sixes from GM and not real easy to find.

The late 250 is the way to go, and everything for any Chevy will bolt up to it, it's the same bell housing pattern as a 327-454 up thru the seventies.

You are just checking the waters right now, this is what you need to do. Move into the "community" a little more. You have a good start right here but don't think that a simple question is answered and you are on your way, move in, get comfortable with a few forums like inliners and http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ and there are many others who deal a lot with these motors.

Just take it easy and study and you will find all this will come very easily, these motors are VERY popular but a "secret club" like popular. You could go to rod shops and they wouldn't have a clue and want you to put a V8 in it (what they DO know) and that is all you would hear. But get in with the right community and you will find out there are a LOT of people into these motors who live and breath them.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishburn View Post
So I'm leaning for a 6 cylinder, what's my best choice? 292?

Thanks
An engine from 1953 on up, 235cid or whatever you can find locally up to a 302cid Jimmy and preferably originally supplied by GM/Chebbie with Powerglide so it has the pressurized lube oil system and hydraulic lifters. The bigger cid engines might be limited to performance parts availability, but for me, been way too long since I've looked, so may be wrong. Wayne made many of these parts so an EBay look might be worthwhile

Dave W
Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Awesome, thanks Brian, I will definitely keep exploring possibilities, I think a 6 cylinder would look pretty nice, my chevy has a long but kind of narrow space for the engine, so I think it makes sense.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

No valuable input here but i must say I LOVE the look of an LS powerplant in an old car. And a FI modern v8 is probably going to get better mileage than any 30 40 50 yr old 6 cyl motor, in case thats partly why you were leaning to a 6cyl
The Following User Says Thank You to clwhoops44 For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

People get caught up in the " who needs computers and FI ?" The car makers have been putting computers and FI in cars and trucks for 20+ years yet a lot of hot roders won't give up their carbs and points. If you want dependable and fun to drive why would you fight a carb and antique ignition? I can go out anytime -20to +90 and my S10 doesn't argue it starts and runs smooth right away. I have a carbed 350 in the frame of my Model A right now. I'm really thinking about a 4.8 as soon as the 350 gives me any fits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indian113 For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

Could changing to a LS be a second phase? thinking about costs and modifying implications…

Maybe first a 6 cylinder and try it out, in case it gives me trouble in the long run figure out if I change it for a LS?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Start with a 250 inline 6; it takes a lot less engineering and compromises to fit in the car. These things went down the road fine with 3.90s/4.11s etc in the rear gear and no problems. Add a 3spd stick with overdrive; or a 200-4r. Life is good. If you want to get trick; there are plenty of guys who have converted inline 6er's to fuel injection out there; especially in the jeep world. The amount of money you'll "save" in fuel economy over the build cost of having to re-engineer the whole front half of the car, a high pressure efi-type fuel system, street rodder headers, serpentine belt drive system, laptop or tablet, wiring harness, modern transmission and possible transmission control module, will take a decade to achieve. Thats if you ever get the car built...for a first time hotrodder its just asking too much.

Id rather drive my car, than sit and stare at it the first 5 years I own it.

A modern 250 6, with twin carbs and a performance cam and exhaust package, coupled to a 3spd with OD...Much like HKEstes flathead setup, is reliable, driveable fun to drive and can certainly be modernized to some degree with EFI, electronic distributors, a modern camshaft profile, an aluminum head etc. AFTER you get the car built and driving, turning and stopping

Last edited by AutoGear; 02-20-2014 at 01:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Awesome advice, thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

There's no denying a LS conversion isn't easy, I had trouble my self with changing my S10 over after having a Screaming 327 with NOS but having the desire for DD helped. In Fishburns case I would have to determine just what I want for a streetability and How much of a budget or ease of getting my car on the street. It took me 3 months to do my S10 and it already had a V8 in it when I started. Sometimes I miss the Lumpy Cam but boy I love the 21 mpg's I get now. I also like the fact I can buy unleaded regular and don't have to but premium any more. There's a trade off, progress is not always easy and changing people views and minds isn't as simple as "DO IT MY WAY because I'm RIGHT and Your WRONG" . You and only you can determine the future of your Rod.
The Following User Says Thank You to Indian113 For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

I'd like to throw in a wildcard. Pontiac OHC I-6 the "SPRINT" came with dual exhaust manifolds, a 4-barrel Quadrajet and a high lift cam. These things were very impressive engines from the late 1960s and they look cool as hell doing it. Standard bellhousing. You'd need engine mounts, Im sure these are available from the Pontiac resto guys. They were used in the Firebird, the LeMans and one other Pontiac
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishburn View Post
Awesome, thanks Brian, I will definitely keep exploring possibilities, I think a 6 cylinder would look pretty nice, my chevy has a long but kind of narrow space for the engine, so I think it makes sense.

Here is what I am running in my 48 Chevy pickup, a 1953-54 Corvette 235 with three side draft Carter 1 barrels.

Brian

Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The '37 will have the predecesor to the 216 6 right from the factory ( 207 IIRC? ). The 216/ 235 are basically the same engines up till '53 when the 235 went full pressure oiling, and the earlier engine is supposed to have the same bellhousing pattern from what I've heard. So you could make it bolt up and run good, if you want a 100 mph comfort cruiser, it won't do what you need. But if you go in with moderate expectations, it could cruise 55-60 all day long.. My '51 Chevy will start in negative temps with a couple revolutions on the 6v starter ( car still 6v ). It will run all day, and not get hot and it has an exhaust note that sounds like a 1950's grain hauler pulling a hill.. Oh, and the only thing I ever did was change the oil, plugs, wires, fuel pump and originally a new points/ condensor before I fired it off for the first time.. It now has electronic ignition but I've never even rebuilt the carb..

My '95 K1500 has a long crank that I've never been able to get rid of, and that's TBI EFI
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 AM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

Tom Langdon was an engineer with GM for years and now owns Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Co. Langdon's Stovebolt | Specializing in Inline Six Cylinder High Performance Parts specializing in GM in-line 6's and also does some parts for Mopars which is how I came in contact with him. Have talked to him a few times ont he phone and he is a wealth of knowledge on in-line engines and is more than willing to share that knowledge.

Tags
1937, chevy, engine, master

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.