modern or old engine to fit on my 1937 Chevy 4 door deluxe - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 04:35 AM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good choice Fish!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BruceKoukalaka For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (03-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

250 Chevy hop-up

That 250 would sure look good in your car with a chrome valve cover and an Offenhauser 2 or 3 carb intake on it. It would be very dependable and have a hot rod look to it. Keep us posted on your progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot Rod 6's 4ever For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 PM

Good luck on the build. Brings back memories. I learned to drive in my Gramps 38 Chev sedan. Its something i,ll never forget. The 250 Chev engine will be a good choice. It,ll fit well with not toomuch alteration and there are some serious speed goodies available at reasonable prices. Theres also an abundance of help and advice available on this site.
The Following User Says Thank You to 51 styline For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 PM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:

Personally I would run a Chev 235 if for street and cruis'n around town. advantages: 1. hydraulic lifters, 2. will bolt right in to that frame without modification if you get a 5o or 51. (In 52 Chev started putting the motor mounts on the side of the engine.) 3. can use original trans, rearend and drive shaft (torque tube). 4. Parts are still available for the engine. Though the 235 is advertised at 105 HP, there's lots of stuff to soup it up and if you can get a '53 or later, it has insert type rod bearings (but you need the front plate off a 50 or 51 for the front motor mount attachments). The difference in time consumed designing/engineering/fabricating frame, steering, and suspension modifications is what usually (but not always) keeps me from moving away from the 216 or 235 engine for the 37-39 chev. Can use that time and effort elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to fasteddy_1947 For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy_1947 View Post
Personally I would run a Chev 235 if for street and cruis'n around town. advantages: 1. hydraulic lifters, 2. will bolt right in to that frame without modification if you get a 5o or 51. (In 52 Chev started putting the motor mounts on the side of the engine.) 3. can use original trans, rearend and drive shaft (torque tube). 4. Parts are still available for the engine. Though the 235 is advertised at 105 HP, there's lots of stuff to soup it up and if you can get a '53 or later, it has insert type rod bearings (but you need the front plate off a 50 or 51 for the front motor mount attachments). The difference in time consumed designing/engineering/fabricating frame, steering, and suspension modifications is what usually (but not always) keeps me from moving away from the 216 or 235 engine for the 37-39 chev. Can use that time and effort elsewhere.
Yep, I agree.

We have a '38 two door sedan at the shop right now, it's stone stock. I have moved it around the place many times and it starts and runs like a top. DAMN I love that car, I would drive it every day if I had it!

Brian

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (03-19-2014), Fishburn (03-18-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:

Have a '38 in my garage. engine was shot. A exhaust valve was froze (closed) and it bent the push rod and broke the rim of the tappet. So I had rebuilt '39 sitting on the floor, doing nothing, and dropped it in the 38. Purrs like a kitten. Upholstery's going to take some doing, and some rust issues, but can't wait to drive it. Had one years ago, in Calif. , put 235 that came outa my '51 in it. Loved that car, but had to sell it.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:38 AM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:

If it was my car I would go with a engine as close to the original as possible and make it shine! To me electronic fuel injection and engine control modules are too modern. Good luck with your choice.

Tags
1937, chevy, engine, master

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.