modern or old engine to fit on my 1937 Chevy 4 door deluxe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

modern or old engine to fit on my 1937 Chevy 4 door deluxe

Hello, I'm restoring a 1937 Chevy 4 door Master sedan. It's my first project and I would love your input on what motor I should adapt to my car.

I don't want to restore it to original settings, I want a nice, functional car that I could use every other sunday and not have it break down on me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated =)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

If it was me I would look for a 4.8 LS engine and put it in your car. I put a 5.3 in my S10 for less than I could build a 300 hp motor. The 4.8 makes just a little less hp and will get decent gas mileage plus it will burn this nasty gas we have to buy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indian113 For This Useful Post:
clwhoops44 (02-20-2014), Fishburn (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 PM

no points/no carb,make it a driver
Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

I have a 38 Plymouth Coupe and I attend lots of car shows and rod runs. In my opinion, you want to have a nice modern drive train, suspension and braking system. You don't need to go all fuel injected or anything but believe me, the cost of restoring old systems is not any cheaper than converting to modern equipment and you will be much happier.
The Following User Says Thank You to 38project For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

Well, I am going to come at this from the other direction. I have a 48 Plymouth coupe and I am running a 57 model 230 flathead in front of a 53 model R10 Overdrive. I can cruise at 70 all day long. Not to mention that it is repairable with simple hand tools. No computers, no special tools needed.

Add to the above the when I pull into a show or cruise and pop the hood, I am not parked between 47 more engines just like mine. I can tell you that when folks walk by they do a double take on the flathead and stop to comment / ask questions. I say be unique. If you do go with a standard ho-hum 350 / 350 then do something to make it stand out.

This is my second 48 coupe and the first had a 383 / 727 which ran like a scalded cat. That was a very different time in my life where going as fast as possible in a straight line was the most important thing. Now I want to drive my car on a regular basis and enjoy the ride. Neither the flathead or the V8 can be pointed to by anyone as the right choice except by you. It is your car and you know how you want to use it. Set down, really think about how you are going to use it, what image you want to project, your skill level and go from there.

Here are a couple pictures of my flathead and then a couple of Chevy sixes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hkestes For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-19-2014), John long (02-20-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 AM

I really agree with Hkestes about having an interesting engine, how many 350ci can you look at?... But there is something to be said about the reliability and ease of maintenance (cheap parts in any parts store...) of a small block, so why not make it interesting to look at? Ram horn exhaust manifolds, finned/old style valve covers and air filter, a cool intake such as a twin 4-barrel cross ram, or 3 deuces, maybe an old oil-filled air filter modified to use a regular filter... There, cool engine, simple to maintain!
Anyway, on the other hand, if it was me, I would follow Fishburn113 and use a small modern LS engine, smooth and reliable. Do not be afraid of EFI, it is very easy to install and live with. For more info on the LS engines, go to the LS1Tech forum, these guys know everything! And these engine are not too common yet in old cars...
So, are you confused now? Sorry...
The Following User Says Thank You to wave1957 For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

modification implications

in the case that I would instal say an LS engine, would I have to modify chassis, break system, suspension, none, all….??

And thanks for all the replies, the have been really helpful.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
no points/no carb,make it a driver
Isn't that funny how different we all think. I would say just the opposite "Points, carb, make it a driver". LOL One I can work on, make it a driver.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishburn View Post
in the case that I would instal say an LS engine, would I have to modify chassis, break system, suspension, none, all….??

And thanks for all the replies, the have been really helpful.
I do not know about '37 Chevys, so I cannot answer specifically. I would encourage you to go on the LS1Tech forum, see if someone has done such a swap.
Then, you say you "restored" your car but you are on the hotrodders forum: is your car modified or really stock? Here are a few thoughts which will hopefully help you think:
If stock, does your car have a closed or open driveline? Any modern engine will need an open driveline, therefore a new rear end; there are many many aftermarket parts to adapt an LS engine anywhere, such as oil pans, exhaust headers or manifolds, engine mounts to move the engine front or back, different accessory drives if you need space in the front... So just playing with all that usually allows a fairly simple swap without much cutting. I did say "usually"!
Then again, is it really worth it to have a modern engine if you have stock brakes/steering... which may not be that good at the modern day speeds the newer engine allows? I would look into modernizing the front end (better brakes/steering).
The project might be getting bigger than you thought... Maybe start a new thread in the suspension page of the forum to see what more knowledgeable people would have to say about this...
The Following User Says Thank You to wave1957 For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 AM

The original engine in a '37 Chevy was an inline six, so what about swapping in a more modern GM inline six cylinder with a good automatic transmission? There were displacements up to 250 ci, so it should be able to move the '37 fairly well.

There was even the 1953 Blue Flame six that was used in the Corvette, so you could say you have a '53 Corvette engine in your '37 (everybody seems to think that adding Corvette parts makes every GM engine better).

I don't know what performance parts are available for the GM inline six, but I'm sure someone here on the board knows that answer.

Bruce

Last edited by 75gmck25; 02-20-2014 at 04:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 75gmck25 For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Isn't that funny how different we all think. I would say just the opposite "Points, carb, make it a driver". LOL One I can work on, make it a driver.

Brian
Thinking the same Martin. Carb., no computer, NAPA store has parts.... Carbs, I get. Electrons running around a circuit board, not so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchman For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
There are too many hopup goodies for the Chevy six to list, PILES of stuff for every year and model.

Inliners International Bulletin Board - Powered by UBB.threads™

For the 235 from Clifford. Clifford Performance: Chevy 235

For the 250-292

Clifford Performance: Chevy 250-292

And that is just one vendor, and new stuff, there are PILES of vintage stuff out there.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

chevy 6 !

When I was in high school in the 50's, I split my exhaust manifold, Twin pipes. used a larger GMC carb, and GMC truck high lift rockers , and it was faster than another kids ford flathead. For brake upgrades , a guy I knew used Pontiac front brakes on his 39 chevy with the beam axle , and swapped to a pontiac rear end, the rear swap is a bit of work. I don't know if the pontiac axle shafts and braks can be used on the chevy rear.

Last edited by timothale; 02-20-2014 at 08:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

front suspension

Gm used TWO different designs of front suspensions, a straight axle, and Knee action. Here is a link to the Knee action, scroll down for a pict
How bad is a stock '41 Chevy coupe knee action suspension REALLY? - THE H.A.M.B.
Our 36 pontiac sedan has the chevy Knee front suspension
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
Fishburn (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I would lean towards the later Chevy/GM 6 cylinder engine simply because they have insert type bearings as well as a few more cubic inches. Then the ability to find parts will be better. A 2-3 carb intake, but I for sure would modify the ignition to electronic for parts life and availability. A decent set of discs in front with an OD transmission, 3-4-5 speed or auto and a better differential arrangement (GM 10-12 bolt, Ford 8-9 inch), again for parts availability. A split dual/exhaust - nice that is if you need to wake the neighborhood up on an early Sunday morning. Now, if you were to go full on street rod - the sky is the limit for driveline (and your wallet capacity). We here can help you spend as much as you would ever want and then some

Dave W
Fishburn (02-20-2014)

Tags
1937, chevy, engine, master

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.