Hot Rod Forum banner

modern or old engine to fit on my 1937 Chevy 4 door deluxe

24K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  beertracker 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm restoring a 1937 Chevy 4 door Master sedan. It's my first project and I would love your input on what motor I should adapt to my car.

I don't want to restore it to original settings, I want a nice, functional car that I could use every other sunday and not have it break down on me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated =)

#4 ·
I have a 38 Plymouth Coupe and I attend lots of car shows and rod runs. In my opinion, you want to have a nice modern drive train, suspension and braking system. You don't need to go all fuel injected or anything but believe me, the cost of restoring old systems is not any cheaper than converting to modern equipment and you will be much happier.

#5 ·
Well, I am going to come at this from the other direction. I have a 48 Plymouth coupe and I am running a 57 model 230 flathead in front of a 53 model R10 Overdrive. I can cruise at 70 all day long. Not to mention that it is repairable with simple hand tools. No computers, no special tools needed.

Add to the above the when I pull into a show or cruise and pop the hood, I am not parked between 47 more engines just like mine. I can tell you that when folks walk by they do a double take on the flathead and stop to comment / ask questions. I say be unique. If you do go with a standard ho-hum 350 / 350 then do something to make it stand out.

This is my second 48 coupe and the first had a 383 / 727 which ran like a scalded cat. That was a very different time in my life where going as fast as possible in a straight line was the most important thing. Now I want to drive my car on a regular basis and enjoy the ride. Neither the flathead or the V8 can be pointed to by anyone as the right choice except by you. It is your car and you know how you want to use it. Set down, really think about how you are going to use it, what image you want to project, your skill level and go from there.

Here are a couple pictures of my flathead and then a couple of Chevy sixes.

#6 ·
I really agree with Hkestes about having an interesting engine, how many 350ci can you look at?... But there is something to be said about the reliability and ease of maintenance (cheap parts in any parts store...) of a small block, so why not make it interesting to look at? Ram horn exhaust manifolds, finned/old style valve covers and air filter, a cool intake such as a twin 4-barrel cross ram, or 3 deuces, maybe an old oil-filled air filter modified to use a regular filter... There, cool engine, simple to maintain!
Anyway, on the other hand, if it was me, I would follow Fishburn113 and use a small modern LS engine, smooth and reliable. Do not be afraid of EFI, it is very easy to install and live with. For more info on the LS engines, go to the LS1Tech forum, these guys know everything! And these engine are not too common yet in old cars...
So, are you confused now? Sorry...:)

#9 ·
in the case that I would instal say an LS engine, would I have to modify chassis, break system, suspension, none, all….??

And thanks for all the replies, the have been really helpful.
I do not know about '37 Chevys, so I cannot answer specifically. I would encourage you to go on the LS1Tech forum, see if someone has done such a swap.
Then, you say you "restored" your car but you are on the hotrodders forum: is your car modified or really stock? Here are a few thoughts which will hopefully help you think:
If stock, does your car have a closed or open driveline? Any modern engine will need an open driveline, therefore a new rear end; there are many many aftermarket parts to adapt an LS engine anywhere, such as oil pans, exhaust headers or manifolds, engine mounts to move the engine front or back, different accessory drives if you need space in the front... So just playing with all that usually allows a fairly simple swap without much cutting. I did say "usually"!
Then again, is it really worth it to have a modern engine if you have stock brakes/steering... which may not be that good at the modern day speeds the newer engine allows? I would look into modernizing the front end (better brakes/steering).
The project might be getting bigger than you thought... Maybe start a new thread in the suspension page of the forum to see what more knowledgeable people would have to say about this...

#10 · (Edited)
The original engine in a '37 Chevy was an inline six, so what about swapping in a more modern GM inline six cylinder with a good automatic transmission? There were displacements up to 250 ci, so it should be able to move the '37 fairly well.

There was even the 1953 Blue Flame six that was used in the Corvette, so you could say you have a '53 Corvette engine in your '37 (everybody seems to think that adding Corvette parts makes every GM engine better).

I don't know what performance parts are available for the GM inline six, but I'm sure someone here on the board knows that answer.

Bruce

#12 ·
Reactions: Fishburn
#13 · (Edited)
chevy 6 !

When I was in high school in the 50's, I split my exhaust manifold, Twin pipes. used a larger GMC carb, and GMC truck high lift rockers , and it was faster than another kids ford flathead. For brake upgrades , a guy I knew used Pontiac front brakes on his 39 chevy with the beam axle , and swapped to a pontiac rear end, the rear swap is a bit of work. I don't know if the pontiac axle shafts and braks can be used on the chevy rear.

#15 ·
I would lean towards the later Chevy/GM 6 cylinder engine simply because they have insert type bearings as well as a few more cubic inches. Then the ability to find parts will be better. A 2-3 carb intake, but I for sure would modify the ignition to electronic for parts life and availability. A decent set of discs in front with an OD transmission, 3-4-5 speed or auto and a better differential arrangement (GM 10-12 bolt, Ford 8-9 inch), again for parts availability. A split dual/exhaust - nice that is if you need to wake the neighborhood up on an early Sunday morning. Now, if you were to go full on street rod - the sky is the limit for driveline (and your wallet capacity). We here can help you spend as much as you would ever want and then some:D:D:D

Dave W

#19 ·
An engine from 1953 on up, 235cid or whatever you can find locally up to a 302cid Jimmy and preferably originally supplied by GM/Chebbie with Powerglide so it has the pressurized lube oil system and hydraulic lifters. The bigger cid engines might be limited to performance parts availability, but for me, been way too long since I've looked, so may be wrong. Wayne made many of these parts so an EBay look might be worthwhile

Dave W

#18 ·
292 is the hardest to find of the late models, it's a truck engine not put into any cars, that should give you an idea of how hard they are to find. The 50's equivalent would be a 261 or 302 GMC. These are the special inline sixes from GM and not real easy to find.

The late 250 is the way to go, and everything for any Chevy will bolt up to it, it's the same bell housing pattern as a 327-454 up thru the seventies.

You are just checking the waters right now, this is what you need to do. Move into the "community" a little more. You have a good start right here but don't think that a simple question is answered and you are on your way, move in, get comfortable with a few forums like inliners and http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ and there are many others who deal a lot with these motors.

Just take it easy and study and you will find all this will come very easily, these motors are VERY popular but a "secret club" like popular. You could go to rod shops and they wouldn't have a clue and want you to put a V8 in it (what they DO know) and that is all you would hear. But get in with the right community and you will find out there are a LOT of people into these motors who live and breath them.

Brian

Reactions: Fishburn
#22 ·
People get caught up in the " who needs computers and FI ?" The car makers have been putting computers and FI in cars and trucks for 20+ years yet a lot of hot roders won't give up their carbs and points. If you want dependable and fun to drive why would you fight a carb and antique ignition? I can go out anytime -20to +90 and my S10 doesn't argue it starts and runs smooth right away. I have a carbed 350 in the frame of my Model A right now. I'm really thinking about a 4.8 as soon as the 350 gives me any fits.

#24 · (Edited)
Start with a 250 inline 6; it takes a lot less engineering and compromises to fit in the car. These things went down the road fine with 3.90s/4.11s etc in the rear gear and no problems. Add a 3spd stick with overdrive; or a 200-4r. Life is good. If you want to get trick; there are plenty of guys who have converted inline 6er's to fuel injection out there; especially in the jeep world. The amount of money you'll "save" in fuel economy over the build cost of having to re-engineer the whole front half of the car, a high pressure efi-type fuel system, street rodder headers, serpentine belt drive system, laptop or tablet, wiring harness, modern transmission and possible transmission control module, will take a decade to achieve. Thats if you ever get the car built...for a first time hotrodder its just asking too much.

Id rather drive my car, than sit and stare at it the first 5 years I own it.

A modern 250 6, with twin carbs and a performance cam and exhaust package, coupled to a 3spd with OD...Much like HKEstes flathead setup, is reliable, driveable fun to drive and can certainly be modernized to some degree with EFI, electronic distributors, a modern camshaft profile, an aluminum head etc. AFTER you get the car built and driving, turning and stopping

#26 ·
There's no denying a LS conversion isn't easy, I had trouble my self with changing my S10 over after having a Screaming 327 with NOS but having the desire for DD helped. In Fishburns case I would have to determine just what I want for a streetability and How much of a budget or ease of getting my car on the street. It took me 3 months to do my S10 and it already had a V8 in it when I started. Sometimes I miss the Lumpy Cam but boy I love the 21 mpg's I get now. I also like the fact I can buy unleaded regular and don't have to but premium any more. There's a trade off, progress is not always easy and changing people views and minds isn't as simple as "DO IT MY WAY because I'm RIGHT and Your WRONG" . You and only you can determine the future of your Rod.

#27 ·
I'd like to throw in a wildcard. Pontiac OHC I-6 the "SPRINT" came with dual exhaust manifolds, a 4-barrel Quadrajet and a high lift cam. These things were very impressive engines from the late 1960s and they look cool as hell doing it. Standard bellhousing. You'd need engine mounts, Im sure these are available from the Pontiac resto guys. They were used in the Firebird, the LeMans and one other Pontiac

#29 ·
The '37 will have the predecesor to the 216 6 right from the factory ( 207 IIRC? ). The 216/ 235 are basically the same engines up till '53 when the 235 went full pressure oiling, and the earlier engine is supposed to have the same bellhousing pattern from what I've heard. So you could make it bolt up and run good, if you want a 100 mph comfort cruiser, it won't do what you need. But if you go in with moderate expectations, it could cruise 55-60 all day long.. My '51 Chevy will start in negative temps with a couple revolutions on the 6v starter ( car still 6v ). It will run all day, and not get hot and it has an exhaust note that sounds like a 1950's grain hauler pulling a hill.. Oh, and the only thing I ever did was change the oil, plugs, wires, fuel pump and originally a new points/ condensor before I fired it off for the first time.. It now has electronic ignition but I've never even rebuilt the carb..

My '95 K1500 has a long crank that I've never been able to get rid of, and that's TBI EFI

#30 ·
Tom Langdon was an engineer with GM for years and now owns Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Co. Langdon's Stovebolt | Specializing in Inline Six Cylinder High Performance Parts specializing in GM in-line 6's and also does some parts for Mopars which is how I came in contact with him. Have talked to him a few times ont he phone and he is a wealth of knowledge on in-line engines and is more than willing to share that knowledge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.