Modern radio in a 6 volt system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 08:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Modern radio in a 6 volt system

OK I realize an East German built 28 hp 2 stroker is not a hot rod but since it has a 6 volt system I'm hoping you guys will understand.

I'm making slow progress but here is some current work. I still need to finish wiring up my fuel guage and radio and speakers.

Trabant Photos by turbofiat | Photobucket

OK so I am torn between using a period correct Panasonic radio in my Trabant or something more modern. I purchased a 6 to 12 volt converter but will be wired up through the ignition switch so it turns off with the key which will also turn my fuel guage off I've added.

What I am curious about will 6 volts provide enough power to keep the radio presets stored? Anyone ever done this?

If not can I connect the + of a 9V battery to the memory wire and ground the - to the chassis, will that work?

I really don't want to use a modern radio because it sticks out like a sore thumb but the advantage is it will fill in the grab handle hole in the dash, has a USB port to allow me to recharge my cell phone and has a slot for an SD card to where I can listen to my MP3s.

Also older radios are bad about picking up electrical noise and this one does. I bought a filter but don't know if it will cure the electrical noise. Newer radios have built in filters.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

relay

The radios with memory usually have a separate wire that needs to remain hot at all times. And another wire for ignition ON.
NOTE: make sure the speakers are connected to the radio before you apply power.
This is a case where a relay can be used to switch on power to the radio when the ignition is ON.
The 6/12volt converter will be connected hot-at-all-times and feeds 12 vdc the radio memory at all times.
The relay with a 6 vdc coil will switch the power to the radio when the ignition is turned ON.
A common general purpose relay with 6vdc coil and 10 amp contact rating should be adequate.

vicrod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.