Modern Trans to a stock Model T ford ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Modern Trans to a stock Model T ford ?

Hi all first time, I want to find out if I can fit modern Trans to a stock model T ford, I want to keep chasie as original change the engine and Trans and covert the drive shaft. help please Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Of course you can - but it will take a great deal of time and a fair amount of money. These Model T didn't have a transmission as we have become used to - it was literally an early automatic with planetary gears, but with pedals instead of a shift lever.

This is where it gets interesting with the parts needed. These are the 'easy' ones
- Replacement transmission of choice
- Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing
- Clutch pedal and linkage

Not so easy:
- Bell housing to engine and how to bolt to the engine. Is there one available that can be modified? Do I have to fabricate one from aluminum or steel plate?

I would probably start with Ford Model A or B components and go from there with my design - or find a good rebuild or core and repair if you either don't have one or have one damaged beyond repair

Like I said, time and money

Now - Welcome to Hotrodders

Dave W
Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 AM

thanks dave

thanks Dave but what I want to do is get a complete engine/clutch/gearbox/drive shaft from a modern car/truck and put it in the chaise. it is just a question of what will fit ie some thing small, and how to fit it to the back end. Richard
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

doing the complete change over makes life a bit easier. to give an example pinto engines and trans are put into some Model A's so doing it to a "T" would be about the same deal. One of the places one needs to so some work is in the rear suspension as the torque tube is part of the suspension and when replaced with an open driveline some work needs to be done about real axle location.. the rest of it is a straight forward engine swap with new motor mounts and such,,radiator may be an issue as you will need a modern radiator that fits the T..

Good luck and if you run into some specific areas where you need help just ask more questions..

Sam
Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardwragg
thanks Dave but what I want to do is get a complete engine/clutch/gearbox/drive shaft from a modern car/truck and put it in the chaise. it is just a question of what will fit ie some thing small, and how to fit it to the back end. Richard
Richard - I misread your OP so my apologies.

You are saying Model T, so that really brings us to the early and the late versions - and I really don't know which you have. The later ones seem to have just a tad more room. Then - what do you want to do with it with that new engine as what ever you use will be one heluva lot more horsepower and quickly overwhelm the differential and brakes and even your ability to maintain control with that puny steering that was OK for the primitive roads in the early 20th century. This then gets you into many modifications - literally replacing the underpinnings to be safe.

Now, as far as engine and to maintain some semblance of brand originality, almost any of the Ford 4 cylinder Pinto through the Mustangs to about '84 along with their running gear. The reason for those engines is to keep complexity down - no computers, extraneous wiring or sensors, no electric fuel pump and return lines. There are other makes/engines, but then you "bastardize" the brand.

Get into it a little more ane we can discuss further.

Oh yeah, here's a '16 center door with a Ford 302 complete with a monster York air cond. compressor:

Dave W
Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 AM

Sam - you snuck in there while I was typing - as usual - slowly
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

The T Bucket gang will have a wealth of info for your conversion; although these types of things aren't limited to T-Buckets. Usually these folks use a 4WD S-10 rear axle with its brakes and some sort of disc brake conversion up front (although there are sever people who have had problems with the GM intermediate-sized disc brake conversions) There are TBucket specific wiring harnesses, or instructions on wiring it yourself. Most of these guys and girls 'box' the frame, or start with a new frame and add GM or ford V8s and automatic transmissions (there isnt a lot of room in a T for 3 pedals...but it CAN be done.

One period style item would be a 'Quick Change' rear axle.

You should really pick an era or style that you would like to emulate to some degree; whether its an early runabout, Track T, pre-war hotrod, 50s hot rod etc.
However, don't just copy everything you see...make it your own.
a 4cylinder in a T isnt exactly common as it stands. One of my best friends has a Mercruiser (chevy) 4cyl and T5 5spd in his Model A sedan and he gets ridiculously good gas mileage and is fine cruising it at 70-75mph. And it has AC.

Keep us posted
Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
Usually these folks use a 4WD S-10 rear axle with its brakes and some sort of disc brake conversion up front (although there are sever people who have had problems with the GM intermediate-sized disc brake conversions)
Did you actually read the OP?

After he brought my attention to the fact that he really wanted to keep the original chassis, not build another S-10 abortion, I made my recommendations as did OneMoreTime.

Dave W
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

I said 'usually' trying to give him an idea of what would be brought out, should he choose to hit up site like 'Tbucketeers', however there are several guys there who build ford-specific t based cars using vintage/antique parts. Id still recommend boxing the frame since its 80yrs old. Regarding 'abortions' due to rear axle manufacture, thats certainly your opinion, I don't have a brand allegiance, if it works for the application I'll use it. If I lose cool points to someone else because I have X-brand axle *shrug*

To the OP:
Probably one of the closest options would be a 'Mitchell Modified Model A trans.' Its a model A trans with synchronized gears in the original case. This is probably easier to adapt to the T. I do not have one, we sell some parts for them to Mitchell Mfg for these; there may be other types of conversions similar to this, this is the only one I know of. Im not speaking about the external OD that Mitchell has, which uses 2 torque tubes and has a separate shifter.

If you want something a little newer in terms of powertrain; find a early ford ranger and scavenge the 2.3L motor and its trans; however as mentioned previously, you will have to remove the torque tube and fabricate something to help keep the axle where it needs to be.

Re radiators and such; an early mustang Radiator will fit and certainly have the capacity, however it might not look the part.

Please update your brakes; a model T under its own power above 20mph is sketchy when it comes to stopping; adding more weight and power means even longer distances

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.