Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Modern wiring in '40 Ford
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Never enough speed!

Wiki Edits: 0

I wish I had a diagram of the Francis setup. Unfortunately, it is a "connect the brown wire to terminal 12" kind of setup and doesn't have a picture of what the completed system looks like. All I know is that there is a single 10 gauge wire hardwired from the battery to the terminal box and everything branches off from there.
The terminal box has separate fuses for:
brake/hazard,
rad fan,
air/heat,
wiper,
running lights,
spare battery,
turn signals,
acc A,
horn,
int lights clock,
fuel pump,
radio gauges,
then there are four circuits that can be either "hot" or ignition depending upon how the fuse is inserted. These are labeled:
acc B,
acc H,
acc, J,
power windows.

The column drop is as Ireland's child pictured.

My intention was to retain the nostalgic look and feel of the old key and switch. If I were to use the modern ignition switch, hiding it behind/under the dash. I don't want to cut up the dash to install it so an auxillary panel beneath may be the alternative for a location.

This isn't a show car. It is intended to be a reliable driver thus the purpose for the rewire. What was there when the car was purchased was an electrical fire looking for a place to happen.

Any and all thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
dw