Modernizing torque tube on 1966 amc rebel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Modernizing torque tube on 1966 amc rebel

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever taken the torque tube off of a car and modernized it with some other design? I am looking into buying a 1966 amc rebel and I was wondering how good the torque tube would Handel a 401 engine and if there is any way of just doing away with it all together if any of u guys have done so would u please give me some info thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

are u a automatic or stic a amc used a warner auto till 71 and the hubs are diffrent on the converter what yr is your 401 if im thinking correctly the 401s came out in 71 all 71 up used a mopar 727 that had a case desinged for amc engines so u need a tranny drive shaft and rear end
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM

Modernizing torque tube on 1966 amc rebel

It is a 1966 amc rebel three speed standard column shift two door hard top My big plans was put a 4 speed and a 401 engine I have not bought the 401 yet I was also wondering what 4 speed tranny would be the easiest to swap for the 3 speed I plan on putting the stick in the floor also but my main concern is the torque tube situation I would consider leaving the torque tube but I don't no anything about how practical they are if i would put a big v8 behind it torque tubes where befor my time so I don't no if they where a good design with them not being used makes me think they wherent no good for performance

Last edited by cowboy.2010; 02-04-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

definally go with a drive shaft and new rear end
Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

AMC used Borg Warner T-10 4 speed transmissions. HOWEVER....they were specific to AMC. Ford or GM T-10's will not fit so you'll have to find an AMC transmission.

A 401 with an AMC T-10 and a Ford 9" rear would be a pretty stout combination. And yes, use a driveshaft and dump the torque tube.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Running a small block Chevy is like having a girlfriend who wears a push-up bra. The numbers look great, but once you get under the hood, there's not as much there as you thought." - Anonymous
Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

x2 On what Centerline said previously. Also note that Mopar and AMC had ridiculously long input gear (maindrive gear) compared to Ford and GM. I dont know if you could adapt the A833 to that 401 or not.

Good luck
Old 04-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

This is a little old, but...

The torque tube itself is fine. Won't have any spring twisting, could have some wheel hop with a lot of power. The AMC 20 axle is nearly as strong as a Ford 9"... more like a GM 12 bolt due to not having that second bearings on the pinion in the rear. It will handle 500 hp. If drag racing on a regular basis Moser and Strange will both make you some one piece axles. If you just tromp on it every now and then and are a bit under 500 hp, just make sure you loosen the axles nuts and torque back to 250-300 ft/lbs. They aren't likely to spin if you do that. The nuts are probably stuck and will take much more than 300 ft/lbs to break loose, but stuck isn't the same as properly torqued! The key just aligns the hub if it ever needs to come off, doesn't add much (if any) strength. The hub/axle mating surfaces do all the work, and need to be properly tight. You can't put a used hub on another axle, and new hubs are VERY hard to find. If you spin one you need to pull the whole axle and hub from a used axle.

If you use a T-10 from a 327 AMC engine you can bolt a 360/390/401 right in. Just get the late AMC V-8 bell housing. The three speed manual will bolt to the T-10 bell also, so you could keep that. It should be a T-89 if you have the 327, a T-85 if the 287. Either should fit the T-10 bell. The BW auto can be put behind a late AMC V-8, but you need a pre 71 engine (66-70 290-390, 401 didn't come out until 71). It's a decent trans, but no speed parts.

To use a newer engine and trans you have to replace the TT driveline. Any number of universal four links can be easily adapted. A Ranger 8.8" axle fits well. The Explorer axle is a bit wider, but will work with the deep set Explorer wheels or deep aftermarket wheels without narrowing. The Explorer axle is 1.5" wider than the Ranger. The Ranger axle may not work with a standard offset wheel like the stock Rambler wheels (standard is centered in the wheel -- 7" wheel has standard 3.5" backset) with a very wide tire. It should work with 7" wheels and a 205 or 215 width tire. Go to 8" wheels and the tires won't go under the wheel wells if standard offset, so measure before ordering wheels.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.