modified dirt track transmission - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

modified dirt track transmission

working on a modified dirt track car with a gm 3 speed trans. now we put a blow shield and mid engine plate on it and now the input shaft isn't long enough to reach the pilot bearing in the engine. there is no shorter bellhousing available or a longer input shaft for the gm 3 speed. im looking for ideas, anything at all

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If I recall there was an extended pilot bushing for that..if you cannot find one one could be made on a lathe.

Sam
Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 PM

thanks, ill look for one
Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 PM

I found a extra long pilot bushing at speedway for 14.99 thanks for input.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

I hope you see this. PLEASE check that sintered bronze pilot bushing for iron contamination. By design sintered bronze has some ferrous material in it. However it should NOT be chunks of iron/steel that are plainly visible and it should NOT be magnetic. If the bushing is attracted to a magnet, either in the ID or the OD, it can damage the pilot on the input gear OR the ID of the crank (pilot hole). Google Oilite Bronze Bushings. If your bushing is magnetic; send it back. If you get in a bind for an oilite one, let me know.

The sad thing is the oilite bronze doesn't cost much (ours comes direct from Beemer Precision), and Ive seen guys ruin a $3000 transmission to a shoddy bushing. I am also NOT a fan of needle bearings. if its not installed dead nuts square into the back of the crank, they can fail and damage the input gear as well. GM has a very high quality one over the counter I think from diesel applications(?). I prefer the bronze bushing because its more tolerant of bellhousing/scattershield misalignment.

This brings up my next point. Please spend some time with a dial indicator and properly align your bellhousing. Plenty of guys bring me their transmission because it jumps out of high gear, and its almost always severe bellhousing misalignment. For a performance application; .003 - .005 TIR is preferred. You could go out as far as .00750 TIR, and a street car can get by with .010 TIR. TIR is Total Indicated Runout which is NOT (for example) .003" off center to the left. .003" off center in one direction is actually .006 TIR. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube.com to explain this better than I.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.