Modify my 882's or of the shelv Vortec's? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 10:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Modify my 882's or off the shelf Vortec's?

Would I be better off to modify my #333882 heads, if so what would you sugest, or pick up a set of Vortec's from a newer 350?

I want a street drivable truck, but I also don't want a stock unit either.

I have a 284 Crane, but I may not use, I dont want to have a high reving engine to utilize the power.

Would you recomend a stall?

Any comments?

Advertisement

Last edited by WB72; 07-11-2003 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Your 882s are yucky mid-70s castings for the 350 and 400. The Vortecs flow tons better than any stock head from that year and are very affordable! Be carefull of your compression. The 882s are a 76cc chamber and the Vortecs are 64cc. I don't know Crane too well. What are your lift and duration numbers....
Old 07-12-2003, 12:11 AM

.480 lift and 284 deg.

I just looked at the spec card, it looks as if it may be too much cam for me. 2800 to 5800 RPM.

What would this cam be used for? racing cam, or a real street rod?
Old 07-12-2003, 02:55 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Racing....?? maybe years ago....when people still referred to cams as three quarter race...but now Hot street Chevy cams are well into the 500s for lift.
Years ago I put a flat top piston stock bottom end engine in my buddies 79 Z-28 with 76 cc heads and a 488 lift 292 duration cam and an aluminum intake, 600 cfm carb and headers with dual exhaust. It was a 4 speed with 3:73 and the thing ran great....
I would say the cam is drivable....I never had trouble with a cam that big. I can't help you with converters...sorry...I only modified stick cars..never rodded an automatic...
You still have the other post open...so see what cam others think you should use and decide after some posting with the other members.
I have a stock....kinda slow....Monte and a hot rodded 79 Z that runs in the mid 12s and I like them both on the street....
But I think everything could be a little faster....
If you want to just cruise...keep is conservative......!!!!
Old 07-12-2003, 01:09 PM

I do know the Vortec's max lift is .480.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Quote:
I do know the Vortec's max lift is .480.
Says who...? Tell that to a man that has ran no less than .540 lift on a set of these heads...
Old 07-12-2003, 03:51 PM

The piece of paper that my new Vortec heads came with.
Cast iron Vortec Assembly #12558060
. 64cc combustion chambers
. 1.94" intake valve / 1.50" exhaust (valves included)
. LT1 high-velocity port design
. Requires the use of a Vortec style intake,& self-aligining rocker
arms
. Will accomodate up to .480" lift (out of box)
. Must use extended reach spark plug (AC) R44LTS or equivalent
. 170cc intake runner volume.

Please don't kill the messenger. LOL
How long have you been using that much lift? If it works maybe a change for me in the future.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:15 PM

We built an engine for my sons pickup...355 with flattop hypereutetic pistons,vortec heads w/ Z28 springs(from scoggin-dickey),crane energizer cam with .480 lift,performer intake,and a little too big 750 holley...its an 81 Chevy swb and with the current 3.42 pegleg its runs mid/low 14's at the track,running only in first and 2nd gear thru the 1/4 mile,geared too high with 28" tires,soon to swap in a 4.11 posi to get the 60 ft. times down below 2.20 and should be a mid 13 sec. ride.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:26 PM

vortec heads

you can only run a .480 lift with vortec heads without mods and for real performance the vortecs will need bigger valves and minor portting work after michings screwin rocker studs higher lift camming the heads the bigger valve and porting youve sunk WAY to much into the vortecs for real performance id go with the proline heads theyre cheap about 450 bar and flow WAY better numbers..... ive flow them both before.....and as ill ways say talk to a cam guy for the right cam even us engine builders talk to cam guys for propper cams dont put in just any cam you think might work...... for what you want to do cruisein and make some low end power the vortecs are fine.....the cam is to big for youre build up to in my opion....
Old 07-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Quote:
(out of box)
By this yes but with a set of K-Motion 7500 springs $130 (stock diameter BTW) and a good set of locks & retainers (also K-Motion) about $60... Plus have the studs pinned for $50 and leave the stock valves in place and LEAVE the damn ports alone... You have the workings of a great pair of iron heads... Just plain and simple...
Old 07-12-2003, 05:08 PM

The worst thing about the Vortecs is the springs and second is the press in rocker arm studs both of these problems are easily fixed. Roller rockers can be used if guide plates are installed. However if you plan to go well over .500 lift then other head designs will out flow the Vortecs under .500 The Vortecs are one of the best deals around. 882's are crap even when upgraded there junk.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:38 PM

vortec heads

yes it is true that vortec heads are impressive street heads if all you want is a street engine then vortec will surfice but with the bigger valves the they really come to life but no matter what anyone tells you they are thin cheap casting people will disagree but even the guys at the chevy race department will tell you they are thinnly casted and over heating will cause damage that a lot of after market heads will take without damage they are good heads for the price but also need self alighing rockers that are more exspensive and if you can find someone that will remove youre head bolts thread the holes and install new studs for 50 bucks you take it because you cant and if you think that k motion springs will fix youre high lift whos i have a set almost new ill sell you for 50 bucks.... good luck i quess its just a matter of opion on the heads personaly i went with the phase 2 heads threw gm and they were great for my street engine and when i want to buils a race engine i ported them and they were great again my engine dynoed at 523 hp and 478ft pounds of torque with the same engine and the vortec heads i would have lost alot of hp.... if you want a head that will meet youre needs now and leave you alot of room to improve later go with the phase 2 and leave the vortecs to guy that have been sucked into the 350 dollar hype....
Old 07-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The 882 head seems to get alot of press, probably due to the fact that they came on a tons of engines. Basically, when you are talking about pre fuel injected engines, you are dealing with two different designs of cylinder heads. One being the early double hump type closed chamber head and the other ones being the open chamber type 70 "smog" head as they are called.
As far as the 882 goes, they have enough in them to make over 400 horsepower, so dismiss alot of the BS you here about them, they seem to have survived for a hundred thousand miles in engines before, so they are a sturdy enough unit. As far as power production goes, they aren't state of the art, but if yours aren't cracked, pocket port the bowls and you can increase the valve size if you want. They will produce some power, depending upon your ability. Just bear in mind what your machine bill will be and compare to more modern equipment in price. If you can get all of your machine work done for less than 350.00, you'll be fine with them but much more than that, I would go to a different head.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Hummm...? Guess I`m wrong and I`ll have to spend tomorrow taking off those "Junk Vortec`s"...? But my everyday driver that is 4000lbs and runs a 13.2 quarter mile runs would be a bit sad...?

If you give things some thought and you target a combo for a specific app then why waste putting a head designed for the strip on the street...? Much of anything over a .500 lift cam will kill all your power accy`s, A/C and vac for power brakes... So if these Vortec`s work good up to about .500 lift then isnt that the targeted area...? With some simple modds the Vortec`s do the trick and if you want more then spend more... The guy that started this post is looking in a lower end region...

BTW their are whole ***** load of stock Vortec`s out there in trucks that run very high temps from the factory (higher than most race apps...) I buy used Vortec heads anytime I get the chance and have found only 1 head our of many to have a problem... (ran hot to the point of glowing manifolds and it finaly seized up but only one head cracked...)
Old 07-12-2003, 10:03 PM

For a STREET engine, or mild bracket car you want good low,mid lift flow numbers since that is where the engine spends most of its time and the Vortecs are the best for that, GM has made some pretty good performance pieces. check out the numbers at www.chevyhiperformance.com .

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.