modifying a fwd cars strut tower for turbo clearnce - advice needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 12:07 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

modifying a fwd cars strut tower for turbo clearance - advice needed

a friend of mine has a ford sho (taurus) and is adding a turbocharger, and i have ben enlisted to help

since the yamaha v6 engines in the SHO are quite large, there is precious little room in the engine bay for turbo parts. But on the upside, they were built with a VERY large air filter box, which fills most of the space from the headlight panel to the strut tower , and its the best place to stick the turbo

but, hes also using a pretty good sized turbo, a garrett gt35r .... enough turbo to make over 500 hp if he so wished

he doesnt have the turbo yet (waiting for taxes) so i dont have the luxury of pulling the airbox and dropping the turbo in yo eye things up, so im stuck just brainstorming

im toying with the idea notching the strut tower for exhaust clearance, and then welding in some square tubing to add in all the original strength

and since tube is stronger then sheet metal, the idea doesnt scare me much, as long as its welded good and ties into the frame nice, and connects to the upper rail (fender rail)

im wondering what size tube i should use ? i could easily have some 1 1/4" round tube bent up to tie everything together

if i took 2 sections of pipe, and one went UP off the frame, and then turned 90* out to the fender rail going over the turbo, and one went horizontal off the frame then up to the same rail, with some gussets and flat plate at the attachment points to maintain strength, would this be good ?

the top tube would be welded to the trimmed strut tower the entire length. i would trim the tower to the outer dimension of the tube, center the tube on the sheet metal and weld it in (picture the way you would weld the fins onto a rocket)

sound good ?

Advertisement

Last edited by lowROLLERchevy; 03-10-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2006, 11:17 AM

bump for the late wakers
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
...im toying with the idea notching the strut tower for exhaust clearance, and then welding in some square tubing to add in all the original strength
If you have to notch an apron, I would put a plate into it, like the early FORD intermediates that need the spring towers notched. The whole thing is held up by the engine/suspension cradle anyways.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:41 PM

i could build a notch out of plate, but i was considering doing it this way due to the heat off the exhaust pipe, i dont want to go baking the paint.

since the plastic wheel sheild is just the other side of the sheet metal, it will have to be trimmed , and i would simply replace that section with some sheet metal

this car is definantly going to require some creative pipe work, but it was hard to consider everything when i was loking at the car, its in storage on a muddy gravel lot, so i couldnt jack it up .... i dont have that sort of a death wish

plus few of the parts have been bought, so i had nothing to mock up
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowROLLERchevy

i could build a notch out of plate, but i was considering doing it this way due to the heat off the exhaust pipe, i dont want to go baking the paint.
Think of fabricating a heat shield to protect the apron finish. Look under the car for ideas.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.