Hot Rod Forum banner

Modifying steering wheel for smaller diamter

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mutt's37Buick 
#1 ·
Not long ago I read a thread that showed how to change a large diameter 3 spoke steering wheel to a smaller diameter by welding on the hoop from a the smaller/newer wheel.
The thread may have been on Hotodders or some other rodders site.
Can anyone point me to that thread?
Thanks

#2 ·
Modify Steering Wheel

Hi Mutt,
Sorry it took a couple days to get an answer for you, but here is one. I subscribe to Custom Classic Trucks magazine, and back in their Aug.2012 issue they dealt with downsizing a stock 17" wheel in an early 70's Chev. p.u.
You can actually see the tech article by logging on to Custom Classic & Vintage Trucks News, Restoration, Tech, Blog & Forum - Custom Classic Trucks when the site comes up, click on the "Tech" button near the top, when the tech page comes up, scroll down and on the left side of the page, about half way down, you will see a pic of a red steering wheel. The title of the article is : Reduce,Reuse, Recycle reclaim stock steering wheel. It is an excellent pictorial "How To" article which reuses a stock steering wheel. Hope that is what you're looking for! Rick

#5 ·
In my brothers Buick roadster you will see a Buick Banjo wheel that we reduced with an aftermarket steering wheel ring. Calcustom or something like that, we cut "windows" the rim with a die grinder and cut off disc at each spoke. We then cut the spokes of the banjo wheel to the correct length so when it was set in the rim the spokes went across the rim to the outside. We welded the spokes into the rim and to both inner and outer of the rim. Then cut the pieces that filled the windows to fit around the spokes as they entered the rim and welded them back in.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.