Modifying th350 valve body at home - Custom shift kit? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Modifying th350 valve body at home - Custom shift kit?

I remember seeing a website that showed you how to modify your valve body or make a shift kit at home for next to nothing. I have a transgo noyoyo or whatever shiftkit in it, and it shifts nicely, but I would like to be able to downshift at any RPM...it wont let me. And be able to hold any gear at any rpm(basicaly a manual/auto kit. I rember their was a way to do this I thoguht? (BTW if I have the trans in Low, should the trans stay in first or will it eventually shift?)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

There are quite a few things you can do to modify a trans without using a shift kit like remove all but one check balls, remove accumulator spring,....
I have only done one th350 so Ill leave that answer up to someone else...

for those of you doing 400's this is something I do to all mine and gives a very violent shift
1) Full seal and bushing replacement
2) HD Kevlar Bands
3) Kolene steels
4) Red Eagle Frictions
5) Swapped out direct housing for 1968 housing (or ealier)
6) 4L80e forward piston and clutch hub to allow for extra friction and steel.
7) Switched forward and direct piston release springs
8) Removed center seal from direct clutch hub
9) Plug in reverse feed to center support w/ .25 plug
10) 34 element sprag
11) Hardened output shaft
12) Removed 4 check balls. RND/3rd clutch/2-3 Dr
13) Increased 2nd clutch feed to .110 and 3rd clutch feed to .184 in spacer plate
14) Removed 2-3 accumulator spring, and replaced plastic piston with aluminum piston w/ cast seal and installed upside down.
15) Removed 1-2 valve spring and replaced with copper tubing @ .95 long to block piston.
16) Shimmed Pressure regulator spring

Last edited by gilby246; 10-20-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant
I remember seeing a website that showed you how to modify your valve body or make a shift kit at home for next to nothing. I have a transgo noyoyo or whatever shiftkit in it, and it shifts nicely, but I would like to be able to downshift at any RPM...it wont let me. And be able to hold any gear at any rpm(basicaly a manual/auto kit. I rember their was a way to do this I thoguht? (BTW if I have the trans in Low, should the trans stay in first or will it eventually shift?)

there is one valve to block in place..... the trans will down shift from 3rd to 2 gear or 1st at any speed.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
there is one valve to block in place..... the trans will down shift from 3rd to 2 gear or 1st at any speed.
I THINK thats the manual low control valve. Like Crosley said, Taking the spring out and blocking it will allow these down shifts. Although, I thought most kits came with a plug or something so you could downshift at any speed????

Last edited by gilby246; 10-20-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:01 PM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:

anyone else? confirm what to do and which valve? What can I block this valve with?

Also will blocking wich ever valve change the way the transmission operates or behaves? ofcourse it will allow you downshift whenever (I would guess that valve is thier to prevent damnage to the engine in trans)

Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 07:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant
anyone else? confirm what to do and which valve? What can I block this valve with?

Also will blocking wich ever valve change the way the transmission operates or behaves? ofcourse it will allow you downshift whenever (I would guess that valve is thier to prevent damnage to the engine in trans)

Thanks

not sure how much you know about the t-350 v-body.... I do not have a photo of one for visual reference.

look at the v-body with the passages side UP so you can see the valves in the bores..... do you know which valve assembly line up is the pressure regulator ? I hope so.

the valve to block for down shifting to low gear at ANY speed is the valve on the other side of the v-body.

To recap; IF the pressure regulator valve line up is on the left side as you look at the v-body.... the valve to block is a small one the right side . There are several passages with sleeves & valves in them. PR on one side , the valve to block on the opposite side.

Block it with a stiffer spring OR cut out a short section 5/16 steel cooler line tube . Make SURE the retaining pin & bore plug will not fall out!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.