Moisture in oil breather - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 02:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Moisture in oil breather

My engine has very low miles on it for starters. It's in a street rod that usually gets driven in the Spring and Summer. I recently had it out a few times on the sunny days to keep everything moving. Outside temp was around 45' F. I went to change the oil and noticed a white foam under the oil filler cap and under the PVC valve. I changed the oil and wiped everything clean and took it out for a short drive. After awhile I checked it again and the white foam came back but not as bad. I noticed moisture droplets starting to form. They were very clear at this stage (no antifreeze color) Because the engine is very open I can't get the temp to climb past about 150 to 160 unless I am idling for a long time. This never happens in the warmer weather. Is this likely a problem due to the cold weather and I'm not getting the top end of the engine heated properly for long enough? I run a 185 thermostat and I have an electric fan that I control when needed. The oil I use was the top product from Mopar and I changed to Ford's best and it didn't seem to help. Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2004, 03:32 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

could be wrong

I could be wrong but i would say you are getting antifreeze in your oil. Mixed with oil I doubt you could smell it and only the water will condense at the top of the motor. Even if you drove around in a rainstorm I'd be surprised to see enough condensation to cause the oil to foam and change color. If the head gasket is gone you should have one or more tell tale signs; rad level dropping, water coming out of the exhaust, bubbles coming up in the rad. A crack is a little harder to locate. Your local rad shop can do a pressure test. Sometimes the crack doesn't open til the engine is warmed up though. I know a guy that bought a brand new set of edelbrock heads with a crack in one. The crack only opened up when the heads were torqued on. When the heads were removed the crack closed. It took him a long time to figure out where the leak was.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

I'll check that out for sure. When I drained the oil that had been in for 1000 miles it was very clean. I figured if I was getting antifreeze inside it would have showed up. I'll do a pressure of the rad.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

in cold weather if the car isn't ran for very long times you will get a buildup of condensation under the valvecovers. I had the same thing, oil is still completely clean and not milky, rad level is still up high. But the car hasn't been driven, just started and ran for 5-10 min to shake out the cobwebs.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but the pressure check can't hurt.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Last photo:

As above, I have seen this in colder climates. The telling factor is the oil, is it still clean, or has it taken a chochlate milk color? If it is remaining clean I would not worry too much about it.

Vince
Old 12-31-2004, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Thank you for the information on this. If that's all it is then I just received another Christmas present. Cheers
Old 12-31-2004, 05:54 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

oil

If the oil drained from the sump did not change color you have no probs.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

Dubz had the answer...condensate from sitting around and not being run enough when you do light it off. 160 degrees is really not hot enough to vaporize the water that naturally accumulates. I suggest you either change to a hotter thermostat, and also make an effort to get it up to 180 degrees or so for at least 30 minutes.

Bluesman

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.