Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Molded hoses vs flexible hoses (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/molded-hoses-vs-flexible-hoses-185224.html)

adam83 09-29-2010 01:58 AM

Molded hoses vs flexible hoses

I was wondering if it was just a matter of opinion, like trying to achieve a stock look etc, or if there were real pro's and cons to using universal flexible radiator hoses over the traditional pre molded kind. I am about to the point in the installation where I will need to buy some, and they are both available for my car

techinspector1 09-29-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam83
I was wondering if it was just a matter of opinion, like trying to achieve a stock look etc, or if there were real pro's and cons to using universal flexible radiator hoses over the traditional pre molded kind. I am about to the point in the installation where I will need to buy some, and they are both available for my car

If you use a ribbed hose on an application where the hose is installed in a curved position, then there will always be pressure exerted on whatever connections the hose is used on. If this happens to be a fragile nipple connection made of aluminum, the constant stress could crack the connection. I'll use ribbed hoses on straight connections, but prefer molded hoses on a curved connection for this reason.

302 Z28 09-29-2010 08:18 AM

Flex hose look cheap IMHO on a hotrod or classic car. I always spring for the molded hose. With the vast amount of molded hoses out there you surely can find something that will fit or adapt to your vehicle. I used molded hoses on my 34. I can't remember what they originally fit but it's written down somewhere if I need a replacement.

Vince

JeffB 09-29-2010 11:51 AM

This is an old trick that works,take a piece of coat hanger or welding rod and bend it to the shape that you will need and head down to your local parts house and ask if they will let you check out their hoses bring your pocket tape measure along to check the inlet and outlet diameter,I agree with Tech always try to get a pre-formed hose as it will reduce stress on the radiator outlets.My local Autozone knows me well enough to let me prowl for parts for my '54 project.

adam83 09-29-2010 01:16 PM

Thank you for the information. I decided to go with the pre molded, for the same reasons as you all posted. I am going to start another thread about exhaust header gaskets please chime in!

302 Z28 09-29-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam83
Thank you for the information. I decided to go with the pre molded, for the same reasons as you all posted. I am going to start another thread about exhaust header gaskets please chime in!

The only exhaust header gaskets I have had long tern success with are the dead soft solid copper ones.

Vince