Hot Rod Forum banner

Molding Carpet

28K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sicksixseven 
#1 ·
Ive heard numerous times on here, that when putting in new carpet in your car its best to have molded carpet for your specific car, because you would have to sew to the contours of the floor.
Well, I recently acquired an 85' corvette, that has alot of carpet, and alot of it needs to be replaced. I shopped online for molded carpet sets, andfrom what I found it runs about $600 for just the floor coverings!
I can't sew so sewing my own is out of the question, but is there a way for me to mold my own carpet to fit? I can buy carpet at a reasonble price, but of course its not molded. Could I maybe glue some type of rubber to the back and use a heat gun to mold it into the shape I want?
And for those of you that don't know how the carpet is in this vette, beleive me, there is a TON of stuff to mold it to in there!
Thanks

Brad

#2 ·
The carpet stock used in molded carpet is not the same as what is available in common replacement roll goods. Molded carpet has a plastic type backing that conforms to heat and pressure, Roll goods do not. They are intended for cut and sew applications. Either learn how to sew, or ante-up the green for some professional stuff.

#3 ·
I just put carpet in a 1985 vette. It sounds expensive at $600.00 until you open the box, The carpet set includes most of the interior.
floor
door bottoms
console sides
dash bottom
rear under hatch
lots of pieces
I think it would be hard to sew all those pieces and make it look good. :)

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I was talking more of trying to mold the carpet myself instead of sewing.
Ive tried sewing before, if I couldn't make a pair of boxer shorts in high school home ec, I don't have a prayer against carpet like this!!
But I did find another website that has the same molded carpet for 450. Not as bad but still expensive.

Brad

#5 ·
I have the same problem. it's for my 1972 chevelle and I gotten free scraps of carpet that i would like to put in. I have a large piece that should cover in one piece. I have been talking to some people and they say that if you wet the carpet down and steam it into place it will work, but they have not done it only heard of it. so my question is can this be done? and if it can what is the finished product like? I'm just trying to save money like everyone.

Thanks
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.