moment of truth... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 08:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

moment of truth...

hey guys... in march i pulled my car apart and stripped it. (okay, so that took until june )

since then, it has copped a LOT of rust repair, probably 20 to 30 locations have been fixed. anything from a dime sized hole to a complete rocker panel.

it's ALL DONE! no mo' grinding! (they say a bad welder is a good grinder, and i'm a DARN GOOD GRINDER!)...

presently, the car has not a hanging panel on it. no doors, no tailgate (it's an australian holden ute, kinda like an el-camino), no fenders, no bonnet, no nosecone. just the shell. all bare metal.

now, i want to do the bodywork to a medium-high standard, and i'm trying to sort out exactly what order i should do things. the car will be hit with filler, to smooth the imperfections, then a primer/colour/clear combo, all acrylic as i'm doing it at home, and the oven i have wouldn't fit a whole car...

so, should i fill, prime, paint and clear-coat the door jambs, bonnet (sorry, HOOD) underside, door inners, tailgate jambs first, THEN hang all the panels on for smoothing? if i do it that way, can i mask off the internal areas that are painted, fill prime and paint the external areas, and get a decent blend between the two? it's obviously of more importance that the OUTSIDE surfaces look good, but still...

so what do i paint, and when? i don't want to hang my doors to realise i need to take them off again to paint underneath them, but i don't want to paint underneath them, THEN hang them and realise i've missed something.

given the clean slate i've now got to start with, what's the ideal method of taking my car from ugly to gorgeous!?

thanks for any and all advice... in advance.

cheers,

col.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 02:34 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Looks like you've been busy. What color is it going?
If a solid color you could paint some panels completely off the car,
however if it's a metallic you'd be safer to paint them on the car at the same time so the metallic matches. Either way I would vote for getting everything (both sides of panels) ready to for paint. Paint the jambs (undersides first) and then any light overspray would be going on a preped surface and in reality become a guide coat to be resanded just prior to painting. 3m makes a foam tape that's perfect for masking door jambs without leaving a hard tape line. Keep us posted your doing great

Here's a link that leads to a old Mercedes I did a while back and didn't take doors off yet still did a color change. It'll show the foam tape in use. http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=606

Last edited by milo; 10-08-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:41 AM

hey milo...

the car is going to be a colour called tiger mica, which is basically a kind of rusty orange metallic, which precludes me from painting panels off the car, as you've mentioned.

one thing that worries me about painting the jambs etc once the doors are already on is avoiding runs and so on when i'm shooting at tight spots around the hinges and so on. i kinda thought it would be easier to paint those areas with everything off, then mask and paint with the other stuff put on...

do you think it's better to have trouble around the hinges, and avoid the possible trouble with tape lines and so on doing it the way i initially suggested?

thanks.

col.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:35 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I wonder if the link I posted worked for you? Yep with a metallic that's the way to go masking the seams etc.

masking for final paint-->http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showpos...0&postcount=81
Old 10-14-2003, 05:03 AM

milo... the link did work, but i'm an idiot and only looked at the first page!

i'm going through and thoroughly digesting it now. thanks for such a good resource!

col.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.