Momentary Ground switch Questions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Momentary Ground switch Questions.

More skid steer wiring questions. However the new hollands I was working on before all got traded for 3 brand new CAT's so things are different in a good way most of the time. Their quality is great, and every wire is numbered and colored the same throughout with a second set of numbers coressponding to its location. The downside is that everything is sealed so good and wrapped in armor, that it makes it hard to modify.

Anyways , these skid steers all have two speed's and we do not want certain workers to be able to use the second speed (12mph versus 7mph) due to the amount they can already ruin in the first speed. However when we get in it, or when our other more cautious and caring help gets in, we want the two speed. We wouldn't have got the two speed to begin with but we would have had to special order them without and it would hurt the resale value more than what the option costs.

I initially was going to hide a very small rocker switch (those little dime sized ones) that would interrupt the two speed signal, but interrupting that caused the two speed indicator light to blink constantly as it sensed there was a fault. I then decided to try and interrupt the switch itself.

After some testing or wires and playing around what I found was that the two speed switch is fed 9-10volts (seemed odd, never got a real steady reading though), with the other side of the switch going to ground. I cannot physically get inside to see the wires at the switch as it is a sealed joystick that it is mounted in. The switch is a momentary switch.

As I have stated before, my knowledge of electrical concepts is not good at all, but my uneducated guess is that the computer is basically switching back and forth between low and high range simply based on how many times the switch is hit. I decided to interrupt the ground signal with the rocker switch, however the issue with this is that with the switch having to be hidden it will be very inconvenient to have to turn on and off every time we need to use it. I then moved onto plan two.

There are 4 additional switches (5v signal, intermittent ground) on the same joystick. One controls the horn, one locks in the auxiliary hydraulics for continuous flow and the other two are for controlling different electrical functions for attachments that require the use. The machine does not have the harness for running the attachments, but the joysticks are pre-wired. we will not be using the other two buttons on these machines so I thought, what if I tie into one of them as they are also momentary ground switches and essentially turned it into a sequence of having to push and hold one of them while simultaneously hitting the two speed switch.

At the end of all of this I think I answered my own question and figured it out. initially I was thinking I was going to have to use relays, but now realized all I need to do is connect the ground wire from the two speed switch to what would be the 5v signal wire and leave the ground side of that switch intact how it is, blocking the two speed trigger from grounding unless the other switch is pushed at the same time.

Correct me If I am wrong, but I am going to go try this now.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

Why not contact CAT and see if the computer can be programed to do what you want?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Just thinking out loud here-I believe the signal you want to interrupt would be after the Auxilary Hydraulic ECM, which controls the Spool to allow the Hydraulic Flow to the 2 Speed-at least that's how I'd do it if it's a "B" Series Skid Steer-

Here's a overview of that circuit (look at page 80-82)-hope this helps-

faculty.riohondo.edu/.../BC%20CAT%20BOOK/SERV1783_TXT_...

or, try this one:

/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=2%20speed%20lockout%20cat%20skid% 20steers&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CJEBEBYwCQ&url=http %3A%2F%2Ffaculty.riohondo.edu%2Fjfrala%2FBC%2520CA T%2520BOOK%2FSERV1783_TXT_allBskidsteer.pdf&ei=hpm MT-2bM4n88gTipbi-CQ&usg=AFQjCNHj1R0ELUObyFDemRPgFGYTYkm0nw
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

your links didnt work for me sorry.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.