"Monster transmission" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

"Monster transmission"

Has Anybody used this Company?
I talked to Them this morning and They seem to have pretty good transmissions and prices!
Thanks,
George

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

You have one of the very best transmission shops right there in Victorville...www.bowtieoverdrives.com, they have an extremely informative website and can build a 700r4 for just about any application. Why Deal with some shop in Florida?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

X2 ^^^ on BTO.
Another very good Shop >> Dana > http://www.700r4l60e.com/

I'd stay away from Monster, I've heard & seen a few bad builds from them. They have great advertising tho'.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
You have one of the very best transmission shops right there in Victorville...www.bowtieoverdrives.com, they have an extremely informative website and can build a 700r4 for just about any application. Why Deal with some shop in Florida?
I talked to the Guys at Bowtie{very nice Guy}and He was surprised at the low cost of Monster's transmissions.
I'm going to call them{Monster},ask more questions,and then call Bowtie back to try and see if they can meet Monsters price.
It's about a $500 difference and Monsters trannies were comparable to Bowties.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

????????????

$500 ...

It would be worth that to me to NOT deal with a company half way across the country. IF you have warranty issues ... BowTie is close ( face time ).

Bowtie Overdrives has a GREAT reputation ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
????????????

$500 ...

It would be worth that to me to NOT deal with a company half way across the country. IF you have warranty issues ... BowTie is close ( face time ).

Bowtie Overdrives has a GREAT reputation ...

Well,,,if they can match Monsters price I'll get it from them!!
As far as warranty goes,,who gonna drive to the place they bought their parts from for warranty claims unless it's under their noses??
Warranties aren't forever.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

I'm with you Deuce ??????????? and done with this guy, seeks advice from knowledgeable hot rodders then refuses to take it. Good luck with your build and your Monster trans.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
and done with this guy, seeks advice from knowledgeable hot rodders then refuses to take it. Good luck with your build and your Monster trans.
I am ALL for getting the most for my money. I am a old retired guy ... so I am frugal. But 500 dollars ... is not a lot of money when building a 32 Ford.

He says he is having a 32 built ( $$$ )... he has a supercharged 383 ( that he had built ... $$$ ) and he wants to worry about 5 hundred dollar difference in price between a well known company ( local to him ) and buy from a company that is not well known ... half way across the country ??

With everything new and labor costs ... sounds like a 75/90 thousand dollar " new " 32 build to me ... if the shop is honest. More, lots more if not.

All I can say to him is GOOD LUCK

Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

it costs over a hundred bucks usually to ship across the country, so unless shipping is included from Monster; AND they're willing to promise to cover the shipping AND removal of the trans should there be a warranty claim...Id say do some sidework and spend the extra money for peace of mind.

To the OP:

You need to ask yourself WHY Monster is so much cheaper. Its probably assembly line work with bulk pack parts and that means you can forget them having the ability to check and finesse their work. Good luck and let us know your final decision. Believe it or not, we don't want to see you get screwed.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm with you Deuce ??????????? and done with this guy, seeks advice from knowledgeable hot rodders then refuses to take it. Good luck with your build and your Monster trans.

Hey My Friend,,I have to do some research just like everyone else would in a case like this.
Thanks for Your advice on Bowtie,,and like the above post says,,I AM most likely gonna buy the tranny from them if they can lower the price a little.That's not taking Your advice???
I am taking your advice.
If your done with Me,,,no problem.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
it costs over a hundred bucks usually to ship across the country, so unless shipping is included from Monster; AND they're willing to promise to cover the shipping AND removal of the trans should there be a warranty claim...Id say do some sidework and spend the extra money for peace of mind.

To the OP:

You need to ask yourself WHY Monster is so much cheaper. Its probably assembly line work with bulk pack parts and that means you can forget them having the ability to check and finesse their work. Good luck and let us know your final decision. Believe it or not, we don't want to see you get screwed.

Thank You for Your levelheaded answer!
Monster DOES included shipping and is quite a bit less$$,,does that mean inferior product??
Some place can produce good products that cost less than other companies can whether it's because the buy more parts so it's cheaper,or whatever the case may be.
Just because something is less expensive,doesn't always mean it's an inferior product!
Money is definitely not a big problem here,,so I will talk to a few Companies and get their honest opinions.
90% I will be buying from Bowtie.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I am ALL for getting the most for my money. I am a old retired guy ... so I am frugal. But 500 dollars ... is not a lot of money when building a 32 Ford.

He says he is having a 32 built ( $$$ )... he has a supercharged 383 ( that he had built ... $$$ ) and he wants to worry about 5 hundred dollar difference in price between a well known company ( local to him ) and buy from a company that is not well known ... half way across the country ??

With everything new and labor costs ... sounds like a 75/90 thousand dollar " new " 32 build to me ... if the shop is honest. More, lots more if not.

All I can say to him is GOOD LUCK
This build is not $75/90 thousand{how did you figure that?},,,,,,it should cost me about $50,000 when it's all said and done!!
Wow,,a Guy asks a question and look what happens!!
I'll post pictures of the new Bowtie transmission when I buy it,,,maybe I'll be back in the "good list" after that.
George
Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Be sure to save the shipping crate from Monster, just in case you need it. If it has to go back you will pay truck freight both ways.

If you went to a top engine builder who specialized in race engines, you might expect to pay more for the knowledge he has that others don't have. Transmissions are simple and there is no superior knowledge there, only parts.

Bowtie has a stellar reputation....monster, not so much. Penney wise, pound foolish, you be the judge and spend your money as you like

Jim
Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Ok,,done,,just ordered a stage 3 700r4 tranny from Bowtie!!!!!
Maybe I'm not so dumb!!
Now I have "the best" tranny out there,,,right?????
Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad32
This build is not $75/90 thousand{how did you figure that?},,,,,,it should cost me about $50,000 when it's all said and done!!

Simple math really.

383 with supercharger = $7,500
Aftermarket chassis = $7,500
aftermarket body = 5 grand to 20 grand ... depending on whose you get
wheels/tires = $1,500
Radiator = $750
transmission = $1,600
wiring harness $450

That is almost 25 grand ... with a cheap 5 grand body

You still have to buy headlights, tail lights, driveshaft, gauges, steering column and steering wheel. Add in exhaust, window glass
That leaves interior and paint. You have not even factored in the shop rate ... which varies from a low of 40 dollars a hour to a more common rate of 75 dollars a hour.

IF ... you are going to go with fenders ... add at least another 3 grand cause you need running boards also. Bumpers and braces add another grand.

It cost over 50 grand to build this coupe ... and I did not hire out much. I did have the upholstery done by a pro shop ( $4,000 ).

LOTS of luck on the 50 grand ... shop built new 32 Ford.

Most of the members who have responded to this thread are all LONG TIME car builders. We are not trying to antagonize you. We just want to see the whole picture and learn from the mistakes we have made in the past 40/50 years.

DEUCE ... Moderator

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.