Monte Carlo Bucket Seats - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Monte Carlo Bucket Seats

Hello everyone. Just a quick question.

A few months ago I purchased bucket seats frames for a 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo SS from another forum (montecarloss.com). the seats came completly disambeled. I have everything cleaned up, and ready to put back together with new foams and covers. But the only thing I am not sure about are these rods. Their are 8 rods, I assume 4 for each seat. 2 of the rods are 15 inches and have a loop at eigther end, the other 2 are 17.5 inches and only have a loop at one end.

I am hoping someone here can tell me where these go, hopefully with pictures . I assume they are some sort of support so they seem important to have.

Thank you to everyone for all your help.

hopefully this link works. It should be the "rods" that I am talking about

https://cid-f6e6785ed064c866.photos....pub=SDX.Photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

The link dos not work. But I ban tell you this - I have 4 rods for the each back section of my car. 3 of them are used in the listing to hold the seat cover on. And one is used in a panel separation internally.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

They go in the various listings to provide a solid place to attach hog rings. My guess is there's one listing on the seat bottom cover at the rear of the insert, one listing at the top of the seat back insert, and two listings at the bottom of the seat back cover to close the seat back cover.

Can you post any pictures?

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

here is a picture of the rods. i'll try to get a picture of the seat frames up soon.
DanTwoLakes: The covers for the back of the seats zipper on so it doesn't look like they need hog rings, but that is just an assumption, i've never done any kind of work like this before.
Attached Images
File Type: png securedownload.png (107.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

Here is a link to the Flickr account I just made. The pictures should be much better on there.
The seat covers and foams are from PUI

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5825184...n/photostream/

Thank you to everyone for your help
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

These are not the type of wires I was expecting. Take some pictures of the seat covers (inside and out) and the foam.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

DanTwoLakes I took those pictures you asked for. They are of the front and back of the foams and the front and back of the covers.

The interesting thing about the seat back covers is that they zip closed at the bottom, but their are still 2 flaps of material on either side at the bottom

Thanks to everyone for your help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58251844@N04/5352070937/
Old 01-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

O.K. It still isn't clear to me, but here's my best guess. It looks to me like the two long rods go in the listings to the left and right of the center section of the seat bottom. There has to be something that attaches the two loops through the seat foam to the seat bottom frame. I would guess the loops go to the front of the seat. There also should be something that attaches the other ends of the rods through the foam to the seat bottom just like the other end of the rods with the loops. The groove that goes side to side in the seat bottom foam is not used.

The two shorter rods go in the listings at the top and bottom of the seat back and are also attached through the foam to the seat back frame.

The way older Corvette seats are done is that they have a wire with a hook at each end that attaches to the rods and goes through the seat foam and attaches to the seat frame. The wires are different lengths on the seat backs and the same length on the seat bottom. That's what I think you are missing, the wires that connect the rods to the seat frames. Some newer cars have springs with hooks at each end that go through the foam to attach the rods to the seat frame.

Are there holes through either piece of the seat foam anywhere? If not, you'll have to make your own holes. Do you have any part of the the old seats?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Last journal entry: Century Boat Cushions
Last photo:

Here's a little insite to your rods. The short ones with the loops on each end go in the listings crossing the seat cover. The long rods with one loop go front to back(or top to bottom), passing through the loops of the shorter rods. On the frame of the seat, there should be a hole just about where the loop of the longer rod will rest. Usually, the end of the long rod is held in place by a plastic "christmas tree" fastener through the loop into the hole, and the straight end feeds into a hole in the other end of the frame. This holds the cover down into the grooves in the foam, and keeps the cover tight. It's not the easiest thing to do to get the rods in place, but they will go.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Ok, I think I understand what everyone is trying to say. I'll play around with it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

Thank you everyone for all your help.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock rod
Here's a little insite to your rods. The short ones with the loops on each end go in the listings crossing the seat cover. The long rods with one loop go front to back(or top to bottom), passing through the loops of the shorter rods. On the frame of the seat, there should be a hole just about where the loop of the longer rod will rest. Usually, the end of the long rod is held in place by a plastic "christmas tree" fastener through the loop into the hole, and the straight end feeds into a hole in the other end of the frame. This holds the cover down into the grooves in the foam, and keeps the cover tight. It's not the easiest thing to do to get the rods in place, but they will go.
So all of the rods are used on the seat back? I guess that makes sense, because when I looked at the top of seat bottom cover, it didn't look like there were any bolster areas. The foam must be used for quite a few other seats.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Last photo:

I have done about 4 sets of these seats in the last year and the 2 long rods go to the left and right of the center section of the back with the loops at the bottom. The end with no loop usually goes under a metal wire in the seat foam and the other end with the loop attach with a hog ring to a wire in the seat foam. the shorter ones also go beside the center section and both ends attach with hog rings to a wire in the seat foam. Since it is aftermarket seat foam im not sure if it has the metal wire in the seat.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Hi everyone. I went to a local junk yard today and found a monte carlo with seats that were all torn up. I finished peeling back the covers. I found that the long rods go in the seat back and pull the cover tight against the foam. and the 2 shorter rods are in the seat bottom and do the same thing..

Thank you to everyone for all your help. Its nice to know that I can always turn here for help.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80PontiacWagon
Hi everyone. I went to a local junk yard today and found a monte carlo with seats that were all torn up. I finished peeling back the covers. I found that the long rods go in the seat back and pull the cover tight against the foam. and the 2 shorter rods are in the seat bottom and do the same thing..

Thank you to everyone for all your help. Its nice to know that I can always turn here for help.
Seek and yee shall find! Glad you got your answer.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.