Hot Rod Forum banner

monte carlo to chevelle

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  red nitro 
#1 ·
looking to swap rear ends from an 86 monte carlo to a 68 chevelle, everything seems to measure up ok, monte rear end is about 1/2 in narrower, anybody ever make this swap????

#2 · (Edited)
Southside Machine used to make a set of conversion control arms to put a '68 A-body (Chevelle, etc.) rear end into the '86 G-body (MC, Regal, etc.), but I never heard of anyone doing the opposite, due to the weakness of the 7.5" rear end. I imagine it's doable, but you'd probably have to make some custom control arms.

#4 ·
Measure where the control arm mounting points are compared to the axle you have, they will be different.

The axle may swap in with a good tweaking of the control arms at best, but because of the added stress of the angle differences you will experience binding of the control arm bushings to the point of them wearing at an accelerated rate.

Without swapping the control arms to something like the SSM pieces (which in this case will not work because of you doing this swap in reverse of the intention of those arms), you will only be asking for problems to arise.

Your car originally came with one of only three engines, if you have the 396 the Monte axle will be headed for the end of it's usefulness in a short hurry, especially if you like to "get on it" more than occasionally.

#5 ·
Is there anyway to check if the monte carlo rear end is original, not sure if it is. looks like i might be looking for a rear end from a different car. i dont think they put that rear end in an ls model. i did take the motor and trans out of the monte. it was built when i bought it, and the rear end was fine. By far no expert in this area so all the help would be appreciated. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.