Hot Rod Forum banner

Monte carlo rwd conversion

20K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Valkyrie5.7 
#1 ·
Looking to do a five speed rwd drive monte carlo. Got the engine and other details figured out...but having trouble finding a strong five speed trans. 700R4 trans are pretty hard to find so i'm not counting on finding a manual version. Bolting this to a 4.3liter possibly as large as a 454 if it fits. Looking to put about five hundred firmly on the asphalt. Any ideas for a budget build?

#2 ·
Okay, before I jump the gun, let's specify what we're looking for here.

What year Monte? There were more years that came from the factory already RWD than the 95+ FWD Montes. Are you trying to convert a FWD to RWD and add a 5 speed or just swap 5 speed transmission into RWD Monte ?

A 700r4 is probably the most readily available automatic overdrive in existence. I would not call them rare. Also they never made a "manual version" nor was it ever a 5 speed. So that begs the question, do you want a 4 speed or a 5 speed? Automatic or Manual?

"4.3L possibly as large as 454" You're going to have to be specific what engine, brand, displacement, cylinder arrangement and modifications you plan on so we can narrow down what is the best choice for you. Also you need to take tire size and final drive ratio into consideration.

#3 ·
I have a lady who came to me for a custom build of her 97 monte. Wants this one rwd. Says she can't stand the other body styles and has seen the conversion on youtube. Planting a blazer style set up under is fairly routine fabrication. The difficulty i'm running into is she wants manual but auto is easier to do. She also said her smallest engine choice is the 4.3 liter. She is hoping to have a 454 or a 427. Ok, understandable. No replacement for displacement and all. Problem is... W body wheelbase is 107.5 and the blazer 107, but there is no way the 4L60E will handle the power. What would you recommend? Short of a camaro or vette I have no clue where to get a donor trans. I'm used to trucks and muscle cars.

#9 ·
if I was going to do this, I'd not reinvent the wheel..
the 95-200? has already been done..
take one 3rd/4th gen f body floor and frame rails and shove it under the monty.. john moss did this in the mid to late 90's
from what I remember of the green monster if you can cut and weld. it wasn't all that hard..
the car was in many a peterson mag.. with tons of build shots and info on what they used to make it happen..

#11 · (Edited)
Use a bored and stroked small block 427, TKO600 and a Moser 12 bolt with the Eaton Posi. Go with the small block for easier fit and available parts for the swap in the S series chassis. There are several builders that offer small block 427 crate engines. You can use a hydraulic clutch to make the fabrication easier.

#12 ·
If you've got the talent to make it happen, then hats off to you, sounds like something different. I like different.

I agree with big gear head, though I would probably vote for an Ls7 crate. $14,000 and you've got yourself 427 cubic inches, 505hp, factory built emissions-compliant, fuel injected engine straight from GM. Put a t-56 or TKO behind it and you're set. I mean if we're turning a FWD econocar to a RWD brusier, then $14k is just a drop in the bucket. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.