Monte Carlo swaps - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 05:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Monte Carlo swaps

This is probably a dumb question but...

Will any of the front brake components from a 1979 Chevy Caprice swap onto a 1970 Monte Carlo? Specifically, I need...

Power Booster and Master Cylinder
Front Disc Spindles
Calipers
Rotors
Metal brake lines

If these pieces won't interchange, does anyone have any recommendations for getting these pieces out of the junkyard? Will any from the truck boneyard fit? The yards around me are all out of chevelle and monte carlo parts, so I'm going to have to make something else work. Any suggestions on replacing all those parts on the cheap would really help.

Brado

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2006, 09:58 PM

Any one know?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

The B-body parts WILL NOT bolt in. However some people have swapped them in to get better braking. The easiest way is to get some custom upper control arms. The B-body spindles are about 2" taller than yours and have either 11" or 12" brakes on them.

Doing a search on hear for "b-body" AND brakes will turn up a lot of info.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:44 PM

Thanks Triaged, I appreciate the info. I've just got to find the most cost effective way to get this car on the road with my limited mech skills, and no fabrication skill. It's going to be fun...

Brado
Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Spindles and rotors from a pre-'73 A-body (Chevelle & clones), '68-'74 X-body (Nova & clones), or '67-'69 Camaro/Firebird are the same as MC parts. A-body calipers & steering arms are the same, although steering arm lengths vary (be sure left & right are the same length, shorter gives quicker steering).

Drum spindles can be machined to work with disc brakes if you can't find what you need. www.nnnova.com sells them on an exchange basis.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Here is a list of donor cars you could try to find for your swap:

Buick Special '67-72
Camaro '67-69
Chevelle '67-72
Chevy II/Nova '68-73
GMC '71-72 Sprint
Monte Carlo '70-72
Olds F85 '67-72

Cars of the same era like the Omega, Apollo, Ventura will work also. But I believe I read they have different ball joint sizes, and the backing plates are different. But they are available.

bonuts
Old 01-17-2006, 09:16 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Go to an on-line parts store. Start comparing part numbers from Camaros to Caprices. If the wheel bearing numbers are all the same the rotors will swap. As far as I know the "B" body, "X" body and "F" body cars all used (basically) the same rotor bearings so most any 12" rotor can be swapped to another spindle with a change in the caliper also. 1LE camaros came with 12" rotors so that may be an option for the calipers...
The only real issue with this swap is bolt circle size. The big bodied cars used a 5 on 5 pattern where as the intermediates and pony cars used 5 on 4 3/4. A good brake shop could probably re-drill them for you if it comes down to that.
Mark
Old 01-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

The B-body spindles into an A-body car is a pretty common junkyard swap, but as has been pointed out, its not a bolt in. The benefits are that you can find 12" brake spindles easier and the spindle is taller which dramatically improves suspension geometry. The downsides are that you need a custom upper control arm like one from Hotchkis or Global west. The other downside is that the B-body spindle sticks out a touch more. Its not enough to cause trouble with the tires rubbing, but it looks a bit funny. The solution is to use wheels from a third-gen F-body. They have staggered offsets front and rear. You can use the more positive offset wheels in the front and the more negative in the back. I did that with an 87 Cutlass and used GTA basketweave wheels. Looked nice

Once you switch to the B-body spindles, you'll need to either redrill the rotors for the smaller A/G/F pattern, or purchase F-body rotors which will fit on the spindle using the same bearings. Double check bearing part numbers for the application since I'm not sure all years are the same.

Others have outlined the X or A spindle swap which is just fine and a complete bolt-in, but the B swap get get you cheap 12" and better geometry. Up to you
Old 01-17-2006, 05:05 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

After about 1975 GM ball joints used a different taper too. Make sure you use ball joints which fit the spindle correctly if you do the B-body swap, or you might snap one. I have also read that this swap reduces the turning radius.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Thanks guys, you all rock. That's why I love this site
What I've decided to do is machine the drum spindle down and get all new gear from the local parts store. A little background on this, all 1970 Monte Carlos are supposed to have power front discs, but someone raped it before the guy we got it from got it. But they went through the trouble of putting drum pieces on and hooking the master back up, minus the booster. So I now have to get all the stuff back on it before I'm putting my kids in the backseat on cruise night. I'm going to rebuild the whole steering and suspension system (my first time ever messing with this stuff, wish me luck). I might need to get new caliper brackets too, not sure where to get those at. But be sure I'll be on here screamin' for help sooner or later

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.