Hot Rod Forum banner

Monte Carlo tach

890 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  redsag 78 
#1 ·
Is there any method a person can use to tell if the tach printed circuit board is okay? I put this used tach in my 78 El Camino. It is wired from the distributor to the printed circuit ribbon which powers the gauges. It doesn't show any activity when rig is started. I don't know what I need to check and don't want to ruin the Ribbon. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Is it the stock GM tach? Most of them only have three connections: power, ground and ignition, and you can often get to the terminals on the back of the tach and make the connections manually.

GM had a lot of problems with the circuit boards on their 70's tachs. You can find replacement boards for the Corvette, but they may not be the same design as the tach you have. I compared the tach board in my '75 truck to the Corvette boards and it was completely different.

I have run across some internet sites with directions on how to repair the tach boards using a replacement chip and testing of the circuit traces. However, its not trivial electronics work to replace an integrated circuit without screwing up the board.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.