Monza Drag Car Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 11:10 AM

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Monza Drag Car Question

My Son found a Monza drag car. It has a full Jeg's frame including front clip and 12 pt cage. It has just been certified. The quality of the fabrication is very good. The car is complete except an engine and trans. $4000. The engine he has is a 427 sbc 500 ft lbs torque at 4500 and 550 hp at 6300, Powerglide with 4500 stall. This car is very similar to the one I am building now just two years older. There are potential problems: The engine is in its stock location, the firewall was not moved back and cannot be moved back with out major tear down and re-fab, and the widest slick that can be fitted is 11.5". It does have four link rear suspension though. How bad is the traction problem going to be? Is it possible to hook it up with that size tire?

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Flash
My Son found a Monza drag car. It has a full Jeg's frame including front clip and 12 pt cage. It has just been certified. The quality of the fabrication is very good. The car is complete except an engine and trans. $4000. The engine he has is a 427 sbc 500 ft lbs torque at 4500 and 550 hp at 6300, Powerglide with 4500 stall. This car is very similar to the one I am building now just two years older. There are potential problems: The engine is in its stock location, the firewall was not moved back and cannot be moved back with out major tear down and re-fab, and the widest slick that can be fitted is 11.5". It does have four link rear suspension though. How bad is the traction problem going to be? Is it possible to hook it up with that size tire?

Bob
Bob,

I think that you will be fine-I have a friend who has a '73 Nova with a 540 Big Block (in the Stock location) and a Procharger (it Dyno'd at 1340 h.p.-at 5280 feet) and he is doing mid-nines on 10.5" Tires-he had to watch his Tune up and soften it a bit down low for traction, but he's doing it, so yes, it is possible-
Old 10-30-2006, 01:24 PM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

Bob,
You should have no problem at all hooking up- once the suspension is dialed in.

550 Hp is a pretty mild big block. Should run maybe 9.9 @ 3,000 lbs, 9.5 @ 2,500 lbs something like that. No problem running these numbers on an 11.5" tire.

Should be no problem with the motor where it is- just need the right suspension set up.

Your son needs to get in touch with a chassis shop or racer once the motor is in and ready to go. At the least, have them recommend a starting point 4-link for settings: IC location length and height. have them explain how to set/ figure IC and how to change IC, shocks, tire pressure etc based on track conditions.

If you prefer not to go through all the trial and error, have a chassis shop or racer with equipment scale the car and set it up for him. Have them explain tuning changes.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Monza

His engine is a stroker small block with Dart Pro 1 227s. Given he has a small block with aluminum heads he is lighter even yet. I think the price is good on the car. The guy we will buy it from said he would weigh and help with set up once he gets the engine and trans in and its ready to go. Thanks again to everyone.

Bob
Old 10-30-2006, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

Just chimming in. Traction shouldn't be a problem. There are 9 sec cars out there launching the front end with 10 inch slicks. Suspension is key...The right drag shocks, front and rear, and drag springs, front and rear will do wonders.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Suspension

QA1 adjustable drag shocks front and rear. Front and rear adjustable drag coil overs. Four link. Glass front end. I think its a good deal just wanted to run it by you guys.

Bob
Old 10-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

A certified roller for $4000... Thats a deal.

I know a guy out here running a Monza (no idea what year) he has gone mid 11's with a stock style suspension with 10.5" tire with no trouble. I think his car is 2,800 pounds. It was sorted out till he started playing with Nitrous, then it just got inconsistently fast. He is going to back half the car this winter so he should be running solid 11's come spring.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:18 PM
car builder

Last photo:

with the combo you have the monza should hook and go.
good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Monza

Thanks for the information.

Bob

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.