moonshine the new alternative fuel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 03:12 PM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

moonshine the new alternative fuel

Ok I have been pondering on this a while and really starting to think about trying to turn moonshine into a fuel source any ideas would be apreciated thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Moonshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996thunderchicken
Ok I have been pondering on this a while and really starting to think about trying to turn moonshine into a fuel source any ideas would be apreciated thanks in advance
You didn't ponder long enough, or you should have been reading when you were pondering. Ethanol Is nothing but moonshine made from corn, they just put an additive in it so you can't drink it.

Bob
Old 04-15-2012, 04:59 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

make wood alchohol

its easier to make and produces more power than corn juice. Its called methanol it carries with it Oxygen molecules. We used in in our dirt cars. But you need the keep the carbs clean. make it from wood or paper. When you burn wood what you see in the flame is wood alcohol burning. I mad a quart last year maybe when i finish my Coupe ill make my own for the coupe.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The kicker is making enough alky (and for a cheaper price with all costs included) than you can buy fuel from the pump. Unless you have a virtually free and virtually unlimited supply of raw materials for making alky, this isn't going to happen. And once everyone tries to get on board, the free or cheap supplies of raw materials will either be divided into too small portions for it to work, or the price of those cheap raw materials will rise w/the demand for them.

Tried finding any "free" cooking oil lately to turn into diesel? Good luck w/that, anymore.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Ww2

The Germans and USA farmers made wood alcohol to run their tractors and machines.My Grandfather made it also..as late as the late 50's I remember. I can make enough for Use just for the Rod as it is not a daily driver or wont be. I wont have to worry about dipping into my regular cash for fun driving. I have a good supply of wood what I make will be for my use only not any one else. And yes the cost will rise as people get wise to this every crook and price gouger will come out of the wood work. But I can still make it cheaper than $4.00 a gallon easy by using wood as the cooking fuel.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
ALL AMERICAN MADE

Last photo:

i know but if all of our oil companies want raise the prices to 5 bucks a gallon got to do something to scare the pants off of them do it till they get the message i am sick and tired of them being able to take advantage of us and able to take us hostage it is 100 percent bs
Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

I agree lets hold their feet to the flame

. I heard US is exporting Gas for the 1st time since 1961 that means We are using less and its hurting the Big Companies so they are exporting the gas and oil to make up the difference, Keep the heat on these crooks
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
. I heard US is exporting Gas for the 1st time since 1961 that means We are using less and its hurting the Big Companies so they are exporting the gas and oil to make up the difference, Keep the heat on these crooks
I thought it was a matter of supply and demand, Foreign countries are developing, and there is more demand for oil, so therefore the oil companies can jack the price.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

supply and demand

almost bankrupt the USA its about time we all used less and done more for ourselves such as alternate fuels made at home...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 PM

If you think gas is too high look to Washington not the oil companies. They promised European style prices when they were running for election. We have plenty of green energy now, it's called natural gas.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Moonshine IS E85... they beat ya to it!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Ask me about Ethanol

Last journal entry: 65 GTO
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The kicker is making enough alky (and for a cheaper price with all costs included) than you can buy fuel from the pump. Unless you have a virtually free and virtually unlimited supply of raw materials for making alky, this isn't going to happen. And once everyone tries to get on board, the free or cheap supplies of raw materials will either be divided into too small portions for it to work, or the price of those cheap raw materials will rise w/the demand for them.

Tried finding any "free" cooking oil lately to turn into diesel? Good luck w/that, anymore.

The bigger problem is what to do with what comes out of the still. Finding things to put in is easy, but if you dont have a feedlot or some livestock of some sort to eat the stillage, you will be up to your armpits quick. The nice thing is it can be something as simple as earthworm beds, or as complicated as cattle. My neighbors have chickens, and I also produce methane in a biogas digester and that helps run the stills.

I make ethanol for my cars, modify carbs (Qjets work damn nice) and build engines to run efficiently on ethanol. It has a bit of a learning curve but its worth the effort.

FYI methanol is not exactly easy to make, you need an acid bath to break down the cellulose and then lots of heat. Ethanol is much simpler, less toxic, and far less corrosive. I like methanol, but the requirements for it are spendy, and it takes quite a bit more to run an engine, then you need an after lube to keep everything from being eaten.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.