Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Mopar 360 stroker build (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mopar-360-stroker-build-166063.html)

ed22 10-03-2009 02:37 AM

Mopar 360 stroker build
 
Hello,
Before I begin, I will start by saying that I am new to engine rebuilding. I have read many books, and articles to get myself prepped for the process but just lack the valued experience needed to "succeed" in building a solid machine.
I take Civil Engineering at the University of Manitoba, Canada, and need something to do during the winter between exams and studying. Since my education is very technical, please don't be afraid to be specific in your replies.

I just bought a mopar 360 LA (1974) block and it is currently being hot-tanked and sonic tested. My plans are to build a stroker at 408cid. I plan to have aluminum heads and around 10:1 compression (pump gas friendly). I would like a "week-end cruise" type of car but would like to take it to the strip as well. So looking at around a 600 hp goal.

So please, give me some advise starting with the bottom end. Anything to watch out for, part selection, do's and don'ts?

Thanks

sunsetdart 10-03-2009 05:12 AM

My best advice is to get the book......"How to stroke a small block Mopar" .I have it and it has all the details you will need. You should be able to find it online or at your local parts house.

Centerline 10-03-2009 10:21 AM

Also check out Moparts.com. There are tons of very knowledgeable Mopar guys there that can help with your build. Here on Hotrodders the majority are Chevy guys and although an engine is an engine, a lot of time advice given by guys that only know Chevys may not be the best suggestions when it comes to a Mopar.

ed22 10-03-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsetdart
My best advice is to get the book......"How to stroke a small block Mopar" .I have it and it has all the details you will need. You should be able to find it online or at your local parts house.

Hi,
Thanks but I already have that book and have read it. I would just like some more opinions from people have done this.

ed22 10-03-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerline
Also check out Moparts.com. There are tons of very knowledgeable Mopar guys there that can help with your build. Here on Hotrodders the majority are Chevy guys and although an engine is an engine, a lot of time advice given by guys that only know Chevys may not be the best suggestions when it comes to a Mopar.

Okay, haha. I was wondering how many mopar guys where in this forum... Not to offend any chevy guys though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Furytom 10-03-2009 12:12 PM

Hey Ed,
I'm working on the same project but I deal with a 318LA block from 84 that will go in my 77 Fury. By now I figured I will go with a the 4" stroke crank and machine the block .030 over to make it a 390. Right now Im debating with myself if I buy me a set of Aluminum heads or just let the cast Iron ones I have machine for the bigger valves (2.02" and 1.60"). I saw a set of cast Iron Indy heads at summit wit a 1.94" intake that was very inexpensive. Well will see about that. If you plan for 600 horse make sure you get a forged crank and a set of good quality rods. Im sure the book told you all that already and much more :D

Tomi

ed22 10-03-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furytom
Hey Ed,
I'm working on the same project but I deal with a 318LA block from 84 that will go in my 77 Fury. By now I figured I will go with a the 4" stroke crank and machine the block .030 over to make it a 390. Right now Im debating with myself if I buy me a set of Aluminum heads or just let the cast Iron ones I have machine for the bigger valves (2.02" and 1.60"). I saw a set of cast Iron Indy heads at summit wit a 1.94" intake that was very inexpensive. Well will see about that. If you plan for 600 horse make sure you get a forged crank and a set of good quality rods. Im sure the book told you all that already and much more :D

Tomi

I am planing on the forged crank but not going as far as the billet crank. What I am debating about is using a kit offering an eagle crank with all parts needed for the rotating assembly, or purchasing parts individually making use of Mopar Performance parts. In both cases, balancing will need to be taken care of (another $200-$300). So do you think it would be cheaper to purchase parts separate or buy a kit. If you (or anyone) thinks kit, which one is the best for parts and my application?

I am going with aluminum heads so I can run pump-gas at a higher compression. Since my block only supports 4 head bolts per cylinder, is 10+ to 1 compression a bad idea?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.