Mopar 440 options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2001, 05:57 AM
At a loss for words

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Mopar 440 options

Here's a little question so that you all can voice your engine opinions.
I'm looking to build a pretty much bullet-proof Mopar 440 with a bullet-proof 727 Torqueflight tranny. I'm looking to use the engine in an every day driver car, so I need to retain as much fuel economy as possible (yeah right!). Here's the questions. Has anyone used the Edelbrock Performer (not Performer RPM) intake? What size carb would you go with (I'm thinking 750)? I'm going to keep a fairly small cam in the engine with stock heads. Are six-pack rods worth the extra money and weight?
Thanks everyone!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2001, 05:02 PM

I think 6 pak rods are the same as regular rods the rods that came in the 440 magnum were hi perf and the magnum also came with forged steel crank forged pistons and W2 heads.I'm kinda sure that the 6 pak engine was the same as the 440 4bbl with a fancy intake set up but I could be wrong
Old 12-11-2001, 06:59 PM

Cool

The 6 pack rods are alot bigger than even mag rods if you use them be sure to use the correct damper also. I've built several 440s and they are pretty stout even with a cast crank and small rods,if you want to turn much over 5 grand out of it get rid of the stock oil pick-up and go to the larger hemi style pick-up other wise it will starve for oil.
Probably the strongest running one was an old mag, stock shortblock,used 426 solid cam,and a 413 cast iron duel quad intake with a pair of afbs,727,456 gear in a 71 duster, the car ran consistant 1150s on street tires and through the mufflers plus was a real sleeper until the word got out.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:51 PM

Larry is right, the six pack rods are heavier than the regular 440 rods. But for your application the stock rods would be fine. Make sure you have the correct harmonic balancer for the right engine. Before 1974, 440's had forged cranks and are internally balanced, later 440's have cast cranks and are externally balanced. The externally balanced cranks have a counterweight on the balancer and on the torque converter. Make sure you have the right balancer and torque converter for your specific crank or you will have severe vibration! A good stock rebuild with attention to detail and a mild cam with 750 to 800 cfm carb will work fine. Also the 727 torqueflite transmission is one of the most simple and bulletproof transmissions made. They used these for years behind 361, 383, 400, 413, 426wedge,440 and 426 HEMI"S. When was the last time you ever heard of one of these breaking. NEVER! I actually put one into reverse (By mistake)when trying for neutral at over 100 mph without damaging it. The tranny lasted over another year and was still working when I sold the car. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT!
Old 02-02-2002, 04:57 AM

I didn't know there was any such thing as a non-bullet proof mopar motor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.