Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - mopar 8-1/4 ring and pinion pattern
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

final pattern

Here is my final pattern with pinion bearing pre-load at exactly 25 inch pounds, backlash is .010" plus or minus .0015". I monkeyed with the pinion depth quite a bit and actually ended up within a couple thousands of original shim thickness of .072" from where I originally had it. Adding shims made the pattern too narrow and ran off both ends of the gear. Subtracting shims put the pattern more towards the tow and was very pie slice shaped. I tried .064 shim stack and kept adding until I got back to where I am at (.074). Pattern changed a tad after pressing on new bearing and installing new crush sleeve. I did mike the set up bearing and compared it with the new one, they were within .0005". I did this by placing the bearing face down on a flat surface with the bearing cup on top of it and measured the distance from the bearing cup edge facing down to the flat surface. I am not thrilled with this pattern but I guess this is as good as it's going to get. When I run a tighter backlash the pattern develops a sharper point on the heel end and moves closer to the toe. Coast looks ok in my opinion. These gears are designed to run at .008 to .012" backlash setting. They are basically at the max lash limit now. If I run tighter the pattern gets lower and pointier. Should I just button it up and forget about it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pattern1.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	31247   Click image for larger version

Name:	pattern2.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	31248   Click image for larger version

Name:	coast.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	31249  

Last edited by Goldduster360; 07-16-2008 at 07:05 PM.