mopar cylinder head question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 02:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

mopar cylinder head question.

hi guys, this is my first post.
i have an 86 ramcharger (but you knew that already) it has a 2 bbl, 318 in it, the engine runs great, but i plan to swap in a 360. i know about the mount difference. my question is this...would there be any benefit to putting my fast burn 302 casting heads on a 360? over stock 360 heads i mean. do the 302's have smaller combustion chambers, so as to add a little compression? i'd like to have whichever ones i use machined for 2.02 valves as well.
there are 3 cores i can use. '76 car 360, '78 truck 360, or an '85 truck 360. it will have a comp cams, high energy 260H, with matching lifters and valve springs. the rest will be stock (but rebuilt) stock 4 bbl intake and carb (for now)
i know on some old chevys, truck motors had stronger connecting rods in them, is there any simelar things i should know about the mopar motors?

also i have a bit of a dumb question about the 318's exhaust manifolds. i cannot seem to get the passenger side one off, there seems to be something holding it toward the rear of the engine, i have looked, felt, climbed down under, and cannot see what it is....any experience here?
i want the 360 for some added torque (and performance parts availability)...a little stroke goes a long way. and i dont care for how the 318's pistons are way below the deck height.
i believe i read somewhere that 360's are externally balanced and ill have to use a torque converter from a 360 right?
thats it for now, thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

As far as combustion chamber goes, the fast burn is way better than the stinkn open chambers Chrysler used on the small block. Then again some piston manufactures make pistons with a raised pad on them to fix the quench problem.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:03 PM

Dude,the exhaust manifold on the left side can be a pain in the sockets.How many bolts/nuts have you removed? Must be 6.Compare with the right side.

As far as strong rods are concerned,all 360s and the 318s after '73 already have the heavy duty rods from factory.Good luck.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:37 PM

hey thanks guys! i appreciate it.
quench...who makes those pistons you referred to?? how would it work, not all 318 pistons are the same distance below deck height from what i've read...are they custom made to each order? also, does anyone know the cc of the combustion chambers on the fast burn heads?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

You can start at this site http://kb-silvolite.com/performance....tails&P_id=319 and look thru that whole list for what the call a "step head" that matches up with what ever engine you chose. By the way they make a higher compression 318 piston as well if you interested. The list is too long for me to look thru being that I am not buying pistons right now but they are in there . You can also type in quench piston in your search engine and all kind of things come up that pertains to them. Let me know what you find out. My pistons are custom made JE for a 400 w/ 440 crank and rods that stick above the deck with a D dish to keep compression in the 10:1 range.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Ramcharger, check this out too, http://kb-silvolite.com/feature.php?action=read&F_id=15. Click on the hyperlink they have within that article also. Their site is loaded with all kinds of tech articles.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 PM

thanks for the links quench. ill check them out.
but just to get things straight...would you put the 302 casting heads on the 360 if you were building it?
also, is it true that 360's are externally balanced and that i will have to use a 360 torque converter, flywheel, and damper? thanks again.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger_86
thanks for the links quench. ill check them out.
but just to get things straight...would you put the 302 casting heads on the 360 if you were building it?

also, is it true that 360's are externally balanced and that i will have to use a 360 torque converter, flywheel, and damper? thanks again.
I would try this head on a experimental basis if you have the time and money to take them off and compare them to a typical earlier model 360 head. There will probably be chamber overlap on the 360 bore but ehhhh, I dont see a problem with this if you debure/knock off sharp edges. The problem I see is the very small ports compared to a normal 360 head and this is where things could become interesting for a truck application but I really dont know what rpm the 360 will lay down and say im not turning any more rpm.

Yes 360 are external balance which dont hurt performance. You can use the 360 converter if you have it already but if you dont I believe Mopar sells weights to weld on to other converters. The flex plate I think was neutral but again, you can buy a flexplate (aftermarket) that were balanced for a 360 therefore eliminating the weld on weight ordeal for the converter allowing you to use a neutral balance converter. Dampener, there were different ones for cast and forged crank and different ones for 318 vs. 360. Check out these links also: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=3, http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=1,

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.