Hot Rod Forum banner

Mopar engine in my 47 Dodge pickup? Or GM350?

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
I'm doing some research on Mopar motors and tranny's because I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and get my 47 pickup going. As i have looked, it seems mopar engines, which I have no experience with, are alot more labor intensive to set up then my 350/350 GM combo that I am currently running. I would really like to keep my old Dodge with a Mopar/Chrysler motor, but as I do more more research, it seems that for a newbie like me it might just be a better option to go 350 with 700 r4. I'm looking for overdrive tranny and 400 hp or so motor like the vortec I just built...my first build BTW
I know this particular subject causes some emotions to flare, because mopar should have a Mopar engine etc, but im on a budget and ill be making a restomod with mustang 2 ifs, gm style column...so technically I'm not keeping all mopar anyway. So here it comes... thoughts? Or ideas on how to keep mopar?

#3 ·
This is a very basic question that comes down too...how much money do you have to spend.

A 440 rebuilt with a fairly mild cam will be 500hp and won't cost 12K either, not sure where that BS comes from, good donors are motorhomes which typically have low mileage for their age.

Any SBC will be cheaper to build but its also not 440ci in size either, could also get a 454 from a newer GM truck with FI too.

At any rate, that truck is a long way from being ready for a powerplant.

#6 ·
chevy guys are going to say chevy and tell you how to get 400 + hp and what trany to use - mopar guys are going to tell you to use mopar and ford guys will tell you to use ford - each can tell you where to save money and why YOU should use this or that - - you should build what you want to build so you are happy with what you have - Im a mopar fan and know what I would use but if you lean more to the chevy stuff that's what you should use - its your hot rod - just a thought - jaxx

#7 ·
Jaxx,
I'm an Audi guy haha, so I'm not loyal to any of the major 3...it would be my preference to keep it mopar besides the fact that I keep coming to dead ends when it comes to an easy "GM 350" type setup. Seems like this setup is tried and true on a budget. Are there any tried and true budget builds for mopar engine and tranny combo? It seems like the information is also scarce when it comes to Mopar, another reason I'm undecided.

#8 ·
By the way guys, I do know my truck isn't ready for a motor yet. My sister in laws boyfriend offered me a motor and tranny from a Durango which got my wheels spinning. I think it's time to decide on a good combo and start looking for a good deal.

#9 ·
I'm not a Chevy or Mopar guy, but I am really bored with bellybutton motors and lemming builds. Frankly, use ANYTHING but an SBC to keep it interesting. Heck, Audi 4.2 V8 would be interesting. There was a 1950s Dodge panel with a new Hemi at cruise night last Sat and it was very cool.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Hcompton,
Thanks for the info. I'm with you on the ease of 350 and overdrive 700r4. But i keep battling back and forth because it would be my preference not to have a Frankenstein truck...ya know, dodge with chevy heart...haha
But price is a factor as you mentioned. I am going to mustang 2, bagged, boxed frame, power rack etc... and it's not going to be cheap. This fact keeps me hanging on to the 350 combo. BUT if I could do the same with mopar engine, id go that route. Am I to believe that mopar has no answer to the GM combo?

#14 ·
I like the idea of a MoPar engine, it would be nice to see an old Dodge with a Chrysler built engine and driveline in it.

Yes it is different and it will take more work and bucks to figure out and execute but in the end I think a very worthwhile project.

I'd recommend you contact Steve Dulcich you'll find him on instagram just do a Google search. He's a ton of information and MoPar guy through and through.

Bogie

#20 ·
I like the idea of a MoPar engine, it would be nice to see an old Dodge with a Chrysler built engine and driveline in it. Yes it is different and it will take more work and bucks to figure out and execute but in the end I think a very worthwhile project. I'd recommend you contact Steve Dulcich you'll find him on instagram just do a Google search. He's a ton of information and MoPar guy through and through. -Bogie
Here's some Steve Dulcich videos on Chrysler 360 engine:

Hopping up a totally worn out 360:

Same 360 engine after a rebuild and also comparing it to a stroked version:

I wouldn't worry much about a few pounds weight difference in engines... it's a TRUCK...

Ignore some of the unflattering comments they make about these engines, these guys are just trying to be funny for the camera...

#17 ·
There is some good luck with the Megasquirt systems on these late model swaps. Would not scare me to put a late mopar engine and trans in that truck. And one thing to consider is that we get a good performance from stock late model engines in thos early trucks so unless you are a racer and need every pony you can find the stock engine will be just fine..

Sam

#18 ·
Magnum 360 and a New Process 833OD 4speed stickshift. Same ratios as a 700r4, but you need a man pedal. Drop a 3.54-4.10 rear gear in it, and go!

Make sure you get the CHRYSLER version of the 833OD -NOT- the "NP440" / GM-specific 833OD used in late 70s GM pickup trucks.

#21 ·
Exactly how hard and expensive would it be Tech to transplant a late model hemi drivetrain into my old truck? Say if I purchased the whole truck with hemi, tranny, ecm, rear end?

#23 ·
i have a 1951 Cranbrook with a 5.9 magnum swap, i used a Mopar PCM and the A518 trans. i had to mount the radiator in front of the core suppost to clear the motor but thats the only fitment issue i had, everything else just needed the mounts, harness, and drive shaft and it was in. the motor is stock at the moment but i plan on adding a stroker kit to it and aluminum heads as well as a cam upgrade, so i'm enjoying the 17 MPG i get right now.

#27 ·
My opinion.....If a slant 6 would fit all slanted over like it is, a v8 should slide right in there. I would find a 318-360 SB MOPAR. Millions of them around in pickups etc.

As for the SBC debate, I know that parts are cheaper for them, but to put them in a non GM vehicle is just as big of a challenge as any other engine. Mounts still have to be fabbed etc. If I had a SBC laying around and you liked them, use it.......If you have to go out and find a drivetrain, the possibilities are endless. No matter what, you have some fabricating to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.