Mopar IFS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mopar IFS

Hi Guys! I'm in the beginning throes of building up a 1947 Plymouth P15 Tudor sedan. After I get the floors fixed, my second project will be upgrading the front end. It's already an IFS type, using pins and king pins. I see three possible choices:
1. Keep and rebuild the original front end and add disc brakes from either MPB Co, or the Olds Toronado upgrade in Tex Smith's Mopar hot rod book. Then I'll try for a rack and pinion steering upgrade.
2. Go to a MII stub frame setup from the Fatman or other MII kit from another vendor
or 3. Fabricate an IFS using the F/M/J front end from a 70's/80's Mopar which gives me steering, disc brakes and torsion bar suspension. This install is also from Tex Smith's book.
My current front track is 57-inches and the wheelbase is 112.5-inches. The F/M/J K-memnber comes from the same WB car but has a 60-inch track. So Ackerman should be OK. Does any one have any thoughts or experience with a 40's Mopar IFS? I'm all ears. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 07:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Under normal conditions I'd recommend a Mustang II IFS but in your case I think the Volarie swap would be a good choice. I haven't done one but from what I understand it's not difficult and fairly straight forward. You could also check out a Dodge Dakota IFS swap.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Re: 47 PlymouthIFS swap

Thanks Centerline. I'm leaning that way also but I'm not familiar with the Dakota swap and I've owned a few of them and still do. Do you know what years apply or where I can find some info?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Don't know a lot about it but here's a pic of a Dakota IFS that has been grafted to a 54 Dodge pickup.

Looks fairly straight forward but so does the Volarie. This Volarie setup is on another early Dodge pickup.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:12 PM

47 Plymouth IFS

Thanks for the pix. I was in the junkyard yesterday and looked at a 94 Dakota front end. It looks pretty massive for my car. I haven't found the track width for a Dak yet but I suspect it's too wide. The F-body is 60-inches - about 3-inches wider than stock 47 Plym. The F-body front end in an early 50's Dodge truck required a kickout on the fron stub frame. Probably will on mine too. Have also thought about keeping the stock IFS but don't know if I can find (or afford) all the stock front rebuild parts.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

i'm not sure how much different a '94 dakota frame is. i'm using a '88 dakota on my project. the track width is about 59", i believe. one thing i don't really like is the ride height on the frame. this is my first project so i'm keeping it simple, but that is one issue that i'm not happy with. i'm thinking of getting dropped spindles and coils for the front to get the frame closer to the ground but i'll wait til i'm a little further along.

but, the dakota is a good choice because there is lots of room between the rails and the frame is already boxed.

JB
Old 03-09-2006, 08:51 PM

Dakota front IFS

Thanks for the input. As I said, I didn'tmeasure the track or the frame. All my books are in boxes that I packed when I was selling my house as part of a divorce. Now I'm keeping it so I can UNpack! he Dak frame looke3d to be almost square behind the front suspension. I hadn't crawled under the 47 yet to measure framerail size, but the pictures in Smith's Hot Rod guide for a 48 Coupe and the 53 pickup looked about like 2 X 4-inch or close to it. How much of a transition was it for you to meld the Dak frame stub to your Plymouth? What year is your Plymouth? How far ahead of the front body mount did you have to cut? Any info would be helpful. Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

i haven't actually subbed my front end. i am using the entire dakota frame because i am channeling my car and my original frame was not in very good condition. it was patched in several places and had a lot of weak areas.

but anyway, the original frame was square and i don't think you'll have any trouble splicing the two together. i think because of the width of the dakota frame (39" outside on mine) you'll have to splice the frame behind the front mount. my car is a '47 and between the front mounts is about 40" so it just fits over the frame.

JB
Old 03-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Dak IFS

Thanks johnnymopar. My tudor is also a 47. I'm not planning on cutting behind the body mounts, if those are the mounts you mean. You probably removed the body but I'm not ready to try that yet. I've got a buddy with a wrecking yard with a LOT of old stuff and he's looking for a Aspen/Volare front end (he's got 40 acres). But if that doesn't pan out, I'll look at the Dak. I may want the A500 trans out of the Dak in the other yard, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.