Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - More... "busy Saturday in Tucson"
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Cool pictures! many of those cars are at Famoso for the March Meet and the nostalgia drags, about 4 times a year. Come on out if you get a chance. i am going to look for a IHRA meet in Cali, I would love to see their show out here.
The last I read about it, Tucson is the farthest west IHRA has come. Other info is that they are primarily a Sportsman racer organization. I am just happy that they bring the Nostalgia funnies and Altereds here.

When I moved here in '75, Tucson was an AHRA town. We had the AHRA Winternationals... the Fuel Altered Nationals... and a large local racer involvement. It was an exciting time!

Eventually we lost that track, and when the new one was built, it was NHRA sanctioned. We then had a divisional points meet... the Altered Nationals... a large nostalgia event... a jet car event... and the Pro classes held preseason testing here, so we got to talk to our heros, see their new equipment... and see what 300MPH looked like! I actually willingly spent time at the top end of the track, for the first time! :-)

Unfortunately, having Phoenix 100 miles away, we never got a national event, and eventually NHRA moved away. I was relieved to see IHRA be willing to come here, or we may have ended up with no local track. We have a large nostalgia event happening May 5th. :-)~