More A/C Gremlins. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Cobra Pilot

Wiki Edits: 0

More A/C Gremlins.

This isn't for my ride, its for my daughter's '92 Miata. I just replaced the evaporator due to a leak; I found that the previous owner had the A/C switched from R12 to 134A and not all of the black O-rings were changed out. I replaced the bad rings with the new green O-rings for the 134A. The system held vaccuum, and finally recharged. Several hours later, I found a greenish oil under the compressor, and of course, no A/C. I replaced the evaportor & O-rings, charged the system twice and now the darn compressor is leaking. Any A/C Guru's suggest a course of repair? Would I need to change the O-rings back if I went to R-12, or stick with the 134 and see if the compressor can be saved? I'm stuck and confused. Please help me!
Thanks for any info, Everett.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

First things first. You've replaced the evaporator, several oil seals, found a greenish oil leak, and now, no AC. Many things have been done that may have created several leaks and will take some time and patience to resolve. For starters, if the system is now discharged due to previous leakage or has had the refrigerant recovered into a suitable container, you need to look at those o-rings previously replaced. If they were installed dry, then you need to go back, replace them and this time wet them with suitable refrigerant oil. You may want to reuse the old ones, but I wouldn't, unless you want to go back and replace them again later. The compressor had a greenish oil under it, probably from a previously installed leak detection additive put in the oil. You may have a leak from a fitting, or o-ring depending on how the lines attach to the compressor or maybe even have the compressor/shaft seal leaking, which may require a compressor change. Start with replacing the previously installed o-rings if put in dry, tightening the fittings at the compressor or resealing the connections at the compressor and then pull the system into a deep vacuum and let the gauges sit on the system overnight. If the vacuum holds overnite/several hours, then you can recharge it. If it doesn't hold the vacuum, keep looking, you've still got a leak. I wouldn't go back to R-12. Also, remember when you recharge with the R-134 only recharge to 80% of the original system capacity. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Cobra Pilot

Thanks Oldsman for the response and info. I bought the O-ring kit through NAPA and it came with the required oil. I oiled all the rings prior to installation and even used teflon tape on the male threads. I took the car to the shop and told them I had changed the evaporator and several bad O-rings. They pulled a vacuum on the system and it held. They charged the system, and after I got it home I found the greenish oil and no A/C. I'll stick with the 134, but its a pain to get to the compressor. I quess I'll start there since that seems to be the problem area. Hopefully I can get rid of the gremlins w/o breaking my wallet.
Thanks again,
Everett.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Sorry about the rush thru you got with the AC shop. That's the problem with those places. In and out. Is there a local trade school in your area that teaches an AC course? If there is, they are always looking for projects to work on and would probably accept yours as one. Of course, you still have a leak,and since the oil is under the compressor, that would be the first place to look. Do you have any friends around that have a set of gauges and a vacuum pump? Hopefully so. At least then you're not at the mercy of the ac shops. If it's loosing the charge overnite, it's a pretty good leak. Keep looking.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Cobra Pilot

Finally got to take a look at the compressor, and found that the high pressure hose burst. Small bubbles in the jacket and a ruptured aneurysm just under the compressor. Looks like a "dealer only" part, at least it's half the cost of a compressor. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to tell the shop only fill it to 80%. Question; if the shop filled the system with the 134 in the same quantity as R12, could that cause the hose to rupture?
Thanx, Everett.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

I don't like to second guess other folks work but, if they are running charges by the PT charts for the applicable refrigerants, they shouldn't be overcharging it. They should already be aware of the difference of the conversion of R12 to R134, but it wouldn't hurt to remind them, I guess. These conversions have been going on for a while. I think that discharge hose has been a problem for you for a while. Glad you found it.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:19 PM

more ac gremlins

hi;my name is dane and i work for carlisle auto air sa,tx.we can repair your hose for about $40+shipping!!!!call me at 210-922-5991 or look us up on the web at [url]www.caawparts.com.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.