more compressor lines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Fishing poles in the hot rod!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

more compressor lines

Well I just got a new 3.5 horse 60 gallon compressor and want to run air lines to cool the air and remove moisture. I've already done extensive research on the subject on this site and have decided to go with copper because I have a lot of it laying around.

My question is on the sizing of the pipe. I have 10 feet of 1 1/2" pipe, 10 feet of 1" pipe, 10 feet of 3/4" pipe, and 20 feet of 1/2" pipe, all in type L

I also have tons of type M in 3/4" and 1/2".

I want to use the type L because it is stronger and I have larger pipes which should help maintain pressure. But should I use the larger pipe closer to the compreesor or closer to the end of the line? The outlet on the compressor is only 1/2".

It seems that since the air is hot when it comes out of the compressor that I should run the small diameter pipe first because it can withstand higher pressure. On the other hand if I run the larger diameter first it seems like it may maintain pressure at the end of the line better.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveFeezy
Well I just got a new 3.5 horse 60 gallon compressor and want to run air lines to cool the air and remove moisture. I've already done extensive research on the subject on this site and have decided to go with copper because I have a lot of it laying around.

My question is on the sizing of the pipe. I have 10 feet of 1 1/2" pipe, 10 feet of 1" pipe, 10 feet of 3/4" pipe, and 20 feet of 1/2" pipe, all in type L

I also have tons of type M in 3/4" and 1/2".

I want to use the type L because it is stronger and I have larger pipes which should help maintain pressure. But should I use the larger pipe closer to the compreesor or closer to the end of the line? The outlet on the compressor is only 1/2".

It seems that since the air is hot when it comes out of the compressor that I should run the small diameter pipe first because it can withstand higher pressure. On the other hand if I run the larger diameter first it seems like it may maintain pressure at the end of the line better.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
A 3.5 hp compressor doesn't push much airflow (5 to 6 cfm?), so you're probably going to be running a tool that consumes 4 cfm max? Unless you're running more than 60-75 feet of pipe length, I'm thinking the 1/2" diameter pipe is fine all the way. The pressure loss will be minimal. If you have 3/4", you can go with that too, but it's overkill IMHO.

Antny
Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

The compressor says it puts out 13.3 cfm at 90 psi.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

3/4" is fine and you can make the drops in 1/2"
Old 01-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Last photo:

I thought I read on here somewhere that larger diameter pipe cools the air faster.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

the size of the pipe won't make a big difference in cooling it
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveFeezy
The compressor says it puts out 13.3 cfm at 90 psi.
Even at 15 cfm and 100 psig pressure, the pressure loss through 1/2" diameter schedule 40 steel pipe is 1.0 psig for every 100 feet of pipe.

The pressure drop of 3/4" pipe at 100 psig and 15 cfm is under 0.25 psig for every 100 feet.

Either way, the pressure loss is negligible.

Here's a pressure loss calculator: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pr...pes-d_852.html

Antny
Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Pressure loss would be negligible but the larger pipe will definitely cool better due to more surface area and the fact that a larger volume of air would move slower through the larger pipe. I would run the larger pipe as the primary and the smaller from the tee joints. But since you are lucky ( ) enough to already have the pipe on hand just run the large pipe all the way to your take off points. Also either type would be far more than adequate to carry the pressures you will be dealing with even if you later decide to go with a 175 PSI two stage compressor. Sounds like you have the material to build a top notch air line system and it most certainly will be worth the effort.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to use 1" and then 3/4" pipe. The 1 1/2" fittings are too expensive. I'll let you know how it works out.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.