more cubes? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 10:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

more cubes?

will a later model 305 crank with a 1 piece seal go into a 283?
if it will, then what will i have to do?
what size will it be?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Not likely. 2.450 medium journal 305, compared to 2.300 small journal 283. There is no adapter for placing a 1 peice seal crank into a 2 piece block.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

come to think about it im not sure that it is a 1 peice.
lets assume its a 2 peice, and its a small journal, will it fit?
do they even make small journal 305s?

its raining so i cant go and look at it.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

the last small journal was made in 1967. The 305 didn`t come along until 1976. They did make a 1967 350 which shares the same stroke as the 305 that had small journals, but good luck finding one.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

has anybody ever done that?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn`t know, I don`t think it would be worth it either, when you add in the cost of having pistons made with a compression height of 1.560 and a bore size of 3.875, it makes no sense to build this when you can build a larger displacement small block cheaper, this combo would make 328 cubic inches, 22 cubic inches short of a 350 that you could build for about half the cost.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:17 PM

Last journal entry: A quick trip
Last photo:

Grind down the journals. That is what guys do to 400 cranks to put it in a 350 block.

A 305 crank in a 283 with stock bore would make you an engine of around 328 CI. If you bored it out .030 over, you' have a 333.

Of course, this is assuming that you don't have any other insurmountable clearance issues. I do know you would need different pistons; because the increase in stroke would make the pistons rise nearly 1/4 inch higher in the bore, which would hit the head.

However, pistons with a higher pin location would solve that issue.
This may bring up a new issue: It may be that the pistons would be pulled down too far in the bores and 1 or more of the rings would go past the end of the bore. I don't know how long the water jacket in a 283 is. This may be the deciding factor in whether or not any of this is possible.

It is also possible that the counterweight would hit something on the block. Often, as in the case of making a 350 into a 383, a little machine work can alleviate this sort of problem.

To be honest, I wouldn't be exceptionally surprised if this would turn out to be a good combo. The crank from a 305 is the same as a gen1 350, so it can handle a great deal of power.

Personally, I think you might be better of building up the 283 as a 283, then selling it, because a lot of cars originally came with those motors and then were converted to 350's later, and now there are a lot of 'nostalgia' people that want to take their cars back to their roots and put the original size engine back in. Also, 283s kicked butt when they were new. They were real high revving beasts.

You could sell it for a good sum, then use that to get a nice 350 block and pistons, and use your 305 crank (since that's identical to what a 350 needs) and have a more powerful motor without worrying about clearance issues.

The only reason I would consider trying to carry out your plan would be if I wanted to just see if it could be done, and how well it would work. It would certainly be interesting, and I must say that hotrodding is all about taking something you already have and making it better. Heck, where would we be today if no one had tried dropping a small block chevy in the front of a ford, just because they don't bolt together nice and easy?

Chris
Old 11-27-2004, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

i dont have that kind of money and im not going to spend all that time just to see if it will work.

i just wanted to see if it would go together easily with parts i had laying around.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.