More ethanol - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

More ethanol

More ethanol in our gas soon...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr061507.htm

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2007, 06:21 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

just wondering if that is good, cause your mileage goes DOWN with alcohol since there is less energy in it than in gas. saw a deal on the boob-tube where cars on E85 got WAY LESS mileage.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'm not so sure about the lower milage. I made a run from my home to Houston, SE side, about 4-5 hours, a few months ago in my '05 Chevy 3/4T 4X4, 6.0L. I got a full tank of cheap gas, 87, before I left. Got there and checked the milage computer, 13.8 MPG. Before I came back I stopped at a Shell station 300 yards from the main gate of the refinery. Switched to 89 octane and on the pump a sign read "This fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol". Made the run back the same exact way, got in the driveway and hit the milage-16 MPG. Thats 2 miles a gallon!!! I figured OK I went to the 89 octane. Went to my normal local station and got a tank full. No change in mileage from what I was getting before I made the trip. OK a Shell station is in the next town. Went there got a tank of 89 octane but there was no sign on the pumps about ethanol. Ran that tank through and got the same result no differance in mileage from before I made the trip and got that one tank of fuel. If you can figure it out tell me what gave me 2 miles a gallon on one tank of fuel because I've never been able to do it again and nobody I've talked to can figure it out either. The only thing I can think of is it's got to be the 10% ethanol that made the differance.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

My mom's 2000 Grand Marquis gets more than 10% better gas mileage on Chevron 87 than it does with Wal-Mart 87. They don't have to warn us about ethanol in Louisiana, but I figure cheap gas is just that, cheap gas. My '79 Suburban won't even run smoothly on the cheap stuff.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 PM

Bluepen, which way was the wind blowing the day you made your trip from Cove to Houston?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:02 AM

Last journal entry: Going Slow.. and steady?
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepen
I'm not so sure about the lower milage. I made a run from my home to Houston, SE side, about 4-5 hours, a few months ago in my '05 Chevy 3/4T 4X4, 6.0L. I got a full tank of cheap gas, 87, before I left. Got there and checked the milage computer, 13.8 MPG. Before I came back I stopped at a Shell station 300 yards from the main gate of the refinery. Switched to 89 octane and on the pump a sign read "This fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol". Made the run back the same exact way, got in the driveway and hit the milage-16 MPG. Thats 2 miles a gallon!!! I figured OK I went to the 89 octane. Went to my normal local station and got a tank full. No change in mileage from what I was getting before I made the trip. OK a Shell station is in the next town. Went there got a tank of 89 octane but there was no sign on the pumps about ethanol. Ran that tank through and got the same result no differance in mileage from before I made the trip and got that one tank of fuel. If you can figure it out tell me what gave me 2 miles a gallon on one tank of fuel because I've never been able to do it again and nobody I've talked to can figure it out either. The only thing I can think of is it's got to be the 10% ethanol that made the differance.

Did you tend to drive uphill vs. down hill? I tend to see a 2-3 mpg difference when driving from the here to NYC and back. I think I spend more time chugging uphill coming "upstate" but I may be wrong. My stepdad thinks its because my car like Long Island better than rochester.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

What's all the fuss? I have used 10% Ethanol 89 Octane from a discount station for 12 years and a few hundred thousand miles in everything from a stock '62 283 Impala to our 2004 Malibu 3500. I used it occasionally prior to that and had one vehicle that ran noticably better on the Ethanol than on the regular. Have never had any fuel issues. It's been the only station in town for 12 years and the 89 is normally 10 cents a gallon cheaper than regular 87 around here. I noticed a few years ago that their gas came out of the same tanker that delivered to the big name brand stations in the surrounding towns............ it's a local distributor and his tanker has a VERY distinctive paint job, you can tell it's him a mile away. My old 200,000 mile '94 LeSabre was getting 29 MPG Hwy running 70-75 MPH and 24 average on 10% Ethanol. The wife's Malibu is averaging 33 MPG City/Hwy.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

tipically the farther south you go the better milage you get .....maybe its just because that WVa gas sucks and a couple of local chains my ttruck tends to diesel on there gas
Shane
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I didn't see anything that said how much more ethanol they're going to mix? I didn't notice any change in mileage last year when they made the change from MTBE to ethanol. You might not notice much, if any, change until you start using ethanol in significant quantities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
tipically the farther south you go the better milage you get
This is because as you get closer to the equator the centrifugal force of the earth rotating tends to "lift" a little more weight off the vehicles tires, therefore causing a reduction in rolling resistance and requisite increase in fuel economy.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:20 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

with the malibu that we usedto have 2001 3100v6 got 26-27 around here in NC after driving around on NC Gas 34.9 iirc

Shane

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.