More Front End Travel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

More Front End Travel

I Have A 70 Nova That I Am Getting Ready For The Track. It Has Stock Front Suspension With The Exception Of 90/10 Shocks. My Question Is How Do I Get More Front End Travel. Im Looking For Atleast 5 Inches. Running Caltracs In The Rear. They Say They Need Five Or More Inches Of Travel In The Front
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Is that five measured at the frame or the tires?

You may have to lower the upper shock mount. You may have to change to a tubular upper arm to gain room at the frame rail. You also may need a ball joints with the added range of motion. Don't forget longer brake lines too.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

front end lift

They used to make a spacer it went between the upper ball joint and the spindle. the ball joint bolted to the top of spacer and the spacer bolted to top of spindle ,a 2 inch spacer gave you 5 inches of lift without changing ride highth .Shown in 1970 peterson chevy raceing book . some of these old guys should remember these they were a must in the 60s&70s . I know a few guy still run em!! if you cant find em a machine shop can make em! some of these bolted between the upper a arm and the ball joint. if you have rubber bumpers under upper a frame they must be removed and longer shocks or extentions added.

Last edited by painted jester; 02-04-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: add on
Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM
More for Less Racer

Lower the front ride height with the correct Moroso Trick spring for your front end weight, and cut shorter or remove the upper arm bump stop(Energy suspension makes a short poly button bump stop also). As mentioned, be sure shock has enough extension length and brake hose is long enough.

I don't know if you have bought your shocks yet, but Calvert has a great 90-10, much better than anyone else.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

weaght transfer

Ball joint spacers: Genuine suspension produced these! They allow dramatic weight transfer to the rear slicks with out any spring ,A-frame ,frame or tie rods modifications, they did not change ride height ! Super stock YENKO camaro's & nova's , gasser's,fxs etc.etc. ran them and still run them! Search for "hotchevy60 ball joint spacers" if you'd like to see the product and read some info .Another thing these spacers did was help your tires ride flatter when the front end came up ! a lot of people spend thousands to get the same results a hundred dollars would give you. You still need to shorten or remove the rubber snubber under the upper A-frame and get appropriat length 90/10s and as said before brake line length.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 AM

Thanks For All Your Suggestions
Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 PM

does the spring rate really matter that much on the maroso trick springs. i dont have a way to weigh my front end. i have an sbc with alum. heads. no inner fender wells. fiber glass hood, weld pro stars with goodyear skinnys. everything else removed thats not needed. heater box etc.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:53 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacrazy2007
does the spring rate really matter that much on the maroso trick springs. i dont have a way to weigh my front end. i have an sbc with alum. heads. no inner fender wells. fiber glass hood, weld pro stars with goodyear skinnys. everything else removed thats not needed. heater box etc.
I would say that part # 47140 at 240 lbs/in rate would be what you want. The lighter # 47150 213lbs spring is for fully lightened front ends - all fiberglass front clip. You're not that light

The spring I listed is what we've typically used on Nova's and Camaro's modified like yours is. You may need to install them and see what your ride height is, if it is higher than you want oer need you will need to pull them back out and trim them per the instructions and check them installed again. It is a bit of trial and error.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.